I haven't been on this NG for years

It seems to have gone to hell. PLC programming anyone? I'd like to change trades and work in that field. The company that I work for only hires University grads to do
their PLC programming. I've been working, setting up, programming CNC mills for many years. Is PLC that difficult?

Usenet, as a whole, has gone to hell. It's now land of spammers, trolls, political nut jobs.

I did an EE program at the local junior college. It's been a number of years ago, but I don't recall PLC logic being all that difficult.
I'd bet you could google up some tutorials on the web, just to get a feel for it. Your local college may offer seminars.
You really do want to complete an EE program though. PLC programming is just a part of the picture. Just as CNC programming is just a part of the machining trades.

Here is a good link in a neighborhood newsgroup. There are some good links in this thread.. :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_frm/thread/85ed3843e50dd580/e456e88f6f6370d0?lnk=gst&q=plc#e456e88f6f6370d0
On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:55:53 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

The way we approach PLC training, no it is not difficult. See http://www.bin95.com/plc_training.htm Not just a presentation, real-world, hands-on with actual PLCs, learn only what you will actually use to save your time (more useful knowledge in less time). But the greatest differentiator of this PLC training from all others, is you are also taught Best practice, Safety and Reliability. You not only learn how to, but best way to, Safest way to, and most reliable way to work with PLCs.