Verizon Internet DSL Filters ?

Hello:
Have just received as a gift one of those Sony "recorders" with a HD in it that is supposed to be an equivalent to the TiVo units. Haven't played with
it yet.
Also, brand new user of Verizon DSL.
But would like to know if I need one of those Verizon DSL internet filters for its phone jack, like I apparently need on all my other phone jacks ?
BTW: what signal content do these things actually filter ? High Pass or Low Pass ?
Where don't you need one; talking with Verizon is hopeless ?
Does the PC's modem hooked up directly (no router) need one ? Between the modem and PC ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

Only ones with analogue kit, eg standard telephone, fax, etc.

Low pass to the analogue port but also present a high impedance to the digital ADSL signals on the line.

Where there isn't anything analogue plugged into the socket.

Your analogue modem may easily work but may attenuate the digital signal, so your broadband won't work. If your PC has an ADSL modem, then no filter...

Put it on the line from wall socket to analogue modem. The no filter is needed between analogue modema nd PC. An ADSL modem, of course, mustn't be plugged into the filtered output socket.
--
Sue

I think the filters are pretty much optional, you install them if the digital signal stuff is getting into the phone as noise. They block the digital signals so of course you don't put them on the line to the modem.