street lights

I noticed that a lot of dark street lights seem to turn on when I walk under them. I'm pretty sure they're not designed to do this. Any ideas why this happens?

Reply to
bob

Maybe they have dead lamps which are cycling on and off as the arc tube overheats and cools don again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm not sure, are you possessed?

Reply to
John Waalkes

In my neck of the woods the exact opposite happens. The lights turns off when a pedestrian or car is nearby! This happens on residential streets and on the freeway.

Reply to
Michael J. Astrauskas

In particular, high pressure soduim lamps (golden color, very common in the US) fail by cycling on and off.

-- bud--

Reply to
Bud--