street lights

I noticed that a lot of dark street lights seem to turn on when I walk under them. I'm pretty sure they're not designed to do this. Any
ideas why this happens?
     snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com writes:

Maybe they have dead lamps which are cycling on and off as the arc tube overheats and cools don again.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In particular, high pressure soduim lamps (golden color, very common in the US) fail by cycling on and off.
-- bud--
snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote:

I'm not sure, are you possessed?
snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote:

In my neck of the woods the exact opposite happens. The lights turns off when a pedestrian or car is nearby! This happens on residential streets and on the freeway.
--
- Michael J. Astrauskas