Electric Shock in Apt

I live in a 100 or so year old apartment building. They are doing some major renovation work in the basement. For the last few days I have been getting lots of electric shocks when I touch various things, from the microwave to the water faucet. The air is not particularly dry and we don't have any wind, so I don't think the weather is the problem. Is it possible that the construction caused this problem (I know that they have accidentally cut many wires along the way) and, if so, what kinds of actions could cause this problem?

TIA.

Reply to
Matt Silberstein

It is very possible that they have disturbed the protective ground or neutral in the building when remodeling. For example, in a lot of installations the electrical panel and major appliances are bonded to the mettalic cold water pipes in the expectation that a mettalic bond exists out to the water main. If the workers cut through some water pipes and either removed them or replaced them with plastic, this could occur.

If you have access to a volt meter, you might want to measure the AC voltage potential between various appliances and the water faucet. Anything over a half volt AC is suspicious. I doubt a 100 year old building has three prong outlets, but if it does, you can buy a $15 plug in light tester that will check the proper wiring of the ground, neutral and hot wiring. Still you could have a ground that is floating above the earth ground (water system).

Advise your landlord at >I live in a 100 or so year old apartment building. They are doing some

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:38:33 -0400, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Gave us:

You are nothing more than a goddamned top posting retard!

Reply to
MassiveProng

PLONK

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Matt, you need to determine for sure whether this is static or not.

if you have carpeted floors you might consider putting some fabric softener in a spray bottle and squirting it around the carpet. there are commercial products like 'Staticide' but Downey or something like it is easy to come by.

i'm going to assume you are just touching the things you mentioned and not grounding yourself in any other way.

sure electrical safety is important, but if you are just getting a brief pop that goes away almost instantly it's just static.

if the effect continues until you release it time to take action.

you might mention the problem to the lead electrician or foreman. most likely he will make at least a cursory examination.

Reply to
TimPerry

It am pretty sure it is static, but we do not have any carpet at all in the apt and, as I said, the weather was not particularly dry and we had no wind. It seems to happen when I am bare footed and with shoes. It would not bother me all that much except my toaster oven lost its LCD display with a shock.

BTW, thanks to all who responded, I have read them all and find the information useful.

Reply to
Matt Silberstein

i used to work with a DJ who favored heavy wool sweaters. static in the studio became a problem where machines would start by themselves. the problem was eventually localized to a Hall effect switch grounding issue.

if you attach a 10 megohm 1/8 watt resistor to each item you have trouble with, then a small metallic conductor to the resistor.

touch the conductor for a bit before touching the problem item. this bleeds off the charge you body has developed without the sudden spark.

Reply to
TimPerry

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:59:48 -0700 MassiveProng wrote: | On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:38:33 -0400, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** | Gave us: | |>It is very possible that... | | You are nothing more than a goddamned top posting retard!

Top posting might be be all that appreciated, but attitudes like yours are best left out of the internet altogether.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Your government's biggest threat use to be someone knocking out our country's power supply thereby disabling all commerce. So they created their own alternative electromagnetic energy, free of manmade wires, by discovering how to tame Mother Natures Beasts of tornados and twisters torus forces and create them to harvest energy.

Many many people are experiencing what you are. Some of us are a lot more sensitive to their EM field and it seems to attract to different peoples own body's energy fields.

The problem is getting worse and is starting to effect more and more people. It only seemed to affect about one percent of the population in the beginning. They expect that number to rise to closer to 10 percent over the course of the next 5 years.