test outlook

this is a test of outlook

Reply to
bushbadee

So, what is your outlook???

Reply to
indago

Hey Bushie, be prepared to be flamed by DarkMatter for not posting that to alt.test!

Reply to
Nukie Poo

I am switching from aol to verizon with msn.

MSN does not support news groups but provides Outlook Express, which does, through Verizon .

I was having trouble both in posting and recieving messages from outlook and sent a test message which did not appear till this morn.

I will now have to check and see if it is now recieving messages which it was not last night. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

I ignore him. But I knowtice you are useing Verizon also. I had trouble using using outlook express to get news groups. It should have worked last night but didn't. What are you using to post here? . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

Bush,

You can look at the headers to see what newsreader he's using (99.9% of time anyway; yours doesn't show ;-). In this case he's using OE6. X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

found the problem. I had aol on one phone line and outlook on the other. That confused it and when I shut aol off the problem went away. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

I'm using OE too. You have to setup a newsgroup account in OE with the newsgroup server specified; mine is news.bellatlantic.net. In OE, click on Tools->Accounts->Add->Newsgroup and then enter all pertainent info and then you NNTP such as new.bellatlantic.net. Call Verizon product support if you have any problems setting up your news client (OE, in your case) to access a working newsgroup server.

Reply to
Nukie Poo

"Nukie Poo @verizon.net>"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nukie Poo @verizon.net>"

Now that is the kind of info I wanted. I called them Verizon and they could not get it to work either and set up a call back to help. When I shut the computer off and then turned it back on in the morn, OE had accessed the news groups and had the number of posts on each group I followed. When I tried to download the messages, still got unable to connect to the server. Well I called them again and got a real sharp tec. He had me screw around with my router and that did no good Shut off Zone alarm, did not good. I told him I had AOL running on another telephone line from the same computer, at a loss for what to do, I said, let's shut aol down (I am in the process of switching from them). I shut down aol, went back to news groups and clicked one, in a few seconds, the messages started to pour in. Eureeka it worked. He told me the program must have been looking for a connection and picked up the aol connection instead of the Verizon connection and could not connect through it.

When AOL was shut down it picked up my Verizon connection and worked. So now problem I can run both aol, verizon,internet explorer, and outlook all at the same time but I can not get to the news groups with aol on. No big deal. It will take a day or so to clear out all the back posts and start getting posts as usual as I had been doing with aol. One step away from AOL. A couple more and I am finished with them. I can now use McAffe spam cleanser with Verizon's pop3 mail source. At the momment I do not know whether I should use Verizon, MSN or OE to recieve my mail on. Do you have any suggestions.?

Do you also have Verizon with MSN. I am getting it with DSL for $35 a month, a lot cheaper than the $50 I was paying AOL. (They did drop the price a little when I complained) but I had other isssues with them with the damage they did to my computers (3) last year with their Action tec modem.

How is your satisfacton with Verizon I will end up useing AOL's bring your own Booze for $9.95 for a while , till I get my address changed and then will cut the strings completely.

[...]

c Tried sending you a copy of this but it was rejected ????

Reply to
bushbadee

These messabe boards are also at Google Groups

Reply to
indago

"Nukie Poo @verizon.net>"

Be prepared to be flamed by Darkmatter for just plain posting!!!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Bushie

The first thing I would do is check your router settings. The WAN connection type should be set for DSL PPPoE. You should not be running WinPoet or any other PPP-over-Ethernet software on your computer. The Verizon DSL installer installs this by default - unless you told it not to during setup. PPPoE is software designed to make your client software think it's connecting through a dial-up connection even though it's really going over an Ethernet connection. Leave it to the phone company to come up with that hair-brained scheme. Anyway, if your are using the router, it should be running the PPPoE layer - not your computer (unless the computer is connected directly to the DSL modem). If this is not so, your set up will act screwy. If your computer is running the PPPoE, you'll see a dial-up adapter window open and dial 111-1111 everytime you try to log on the Internet. With the router running the PPPoE, it's always logged on - neat!

BTW, I don't use the MSN product; I just use any browser I want since it is a TCP/IP connection. AOL is different in that you are not connecting to the internet directly; you are going through AOL as a gateway to the Internet. You don't need anything more than the DSL connection and a Web Browser, an E-mail client and a newsreader. You can still access AOL via a TCP/IP connection over the Internet via your web browser. Some people refer to this as accessing AOL through the back door.

My satisfaction with Verizon DSL was great until 6 months ago. Speed has gotten worse. It may be a local issue with me though. Everyone else around here uses Optimum Online through the CATV system. It's much faster, but I hate the cablevision company.

You have to remove from my E-mail return address to get your mail through.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Nukie Poo

...and having a brain. DimBulb hates that!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Shoot, I feel inspired....should I post my Hillbillies tune?...I know...that will start another 200 post flame!...have a great holiday Keith....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Thanks for the help. Funny thing, one of the reasons I switched from aol is because my router can not be used with aol and I want to get my other two compurers connected to the line through dsl. Right now they use dial up and and my computer uses dsl. I have my dsl modem hooked up to my computer through usb as are the modems on the other computers connected to their respective computers.

I have my Verizon dsl modem connected to my computer through ethernet and the router. (Although it will switch to usb if I plug the dsl modem through usb to the computer)

With the router I can connect the other computers to each other and to the modem through the router. I do not care to much about each other. I have one "Common File" connected to the three computers and I can pass programs to the other computers through the "Common File" The main computer is hooked into the router via Ethernet and the other two via radio links.

This is the address I sent a copy of the message to you at. OE picked it up automatically and tossed you into my adress book, a feature I like. AOL does not seem to have that or at least I have not discovered that feature.

I will a cc copy to each person in my aol adress book and ask them to send me a confirmation. That will auto matically put them into my OE adress book. That will save a lot of troubles.

I have about 500 favorite sites and have transferred the most important ones via Control C - Control V but there has to be a getter way.

Perhaps I will go to their file where this info is kept and do a control C to note pad or something like that

I also have "List" for windows and it is great for suppressing control characters and the eighth bit and get the info that way.

I wish there was a better way. Some one suggested a site where there was a program to do this but it was in German and not to much use to me. Got a lot of stuff to transfer.

I printed out your note below and will study it to figure out what it all means. If you want I can design and build you a computer out of parts, and have done that, in the past, but I am not up on communication protocall which is a completely different thing.

Again thanks I am in your debt.

mail

Reply to
bushbadee

Thanks keith

Reply to
bushbadee

And holiday greetings to you all.

Reply to
bushbadee

OE works well, the price is right, just be sure to keep up-to-date with MS's patches as it has been the victim of several worms and virus's.

As for where to put your new email address, I wrestled with this myself and finally decided to use a yahoo address. That way, regardless of which ISP I use, my email will remain the same and I don't have to send everyone a new email addy. OE will pick and send mail via http on hotmail, too. I mention this cause shortly after I started using yahoo, with POP access, they decided to start charging for POP access. Hotmail is still free.

user1

Reply to
User 1.nospam