Voltage/current level, trickle charger, lead battery.

I have an old car on the other side of the country that I drive once a year for a month. The rest of the time the car sits on blocks in a sheltered place. The problem is the battery. A did a Google search to find out what is the best way to keep the battery charged for 11 months without causing sulfatation and the loss of electrolyte. I found several trickle charge designs, some are voltage-driven trickle chargers, some are current-driven. I found that the voltage and current levels are often not consistent between designs. Any recommendation for a reliable source of design parameters? TIA, Gene

Reply to
EpsilonRho

A good source for batteries and their maintenance:

Rich256

An interesting technique some use with cheap trickle chargers is to put the charger on an AC timer switch so that the charger is only on for something like an hour a day. That does an excellent job of preventing overcharging and is cheap as well.

Good luck.

Chuck

Epsil> I have an old car on the other side of the country that I drive once a year

Reply to
chuck

Thank you for your replies, they were very useful. I was able to find what I was looking for. Gene

Reply to
EpsilonRho

look at something called a float charger. its like a trickle charger only smaller :)

Reply to
TimPerry

...and has a better temperature coeficient.

Reply to
Keith

But, if the OP lives on a boat, no - a float charger generally doesn't.

And it is only a tiny step to turn an outboard motor into an overboard motor...

BTDTGTTS..

;)

Reply to
Palindr☻me