Volume control at the speaker?

In a distributed audio system in a residence, how can volume control in each room be accomplished.

I realize that it's more complex than just putting a potentiometer in the speaker leads.

Is this accomplished via 70v distribution system (ie, high-impedance amplifier output)?

Or is some kind of acceptable variable attenuation possible in each room?

Google turns up L-pads. If I understand, an L-pad keeps 8-ohm impedance on the line from the amplifier, while providing an attenuated signal to the speaker.

As long as it is properly chosen, are there any cautions I should know about installing an L-pad for each pair of speakers in a room?

Are L-pads reliable (no noise, etc.)? Brands to recommend? Or avoid?

Other ideas? Speak your peace.

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Simple answer. Purchase a speaker selector switch at any electronics outlet. The selector switch takes one pair of amplifier outputs and spilts out the output to 4 and up to 8 stereo pairs. (it takes care of the impedance problems).Home run the cable from each stereo pair of speakers in each room to an 8 ohm stereo wall attenuator in that room and then bring the cables back to the speaker selector outputs. Fidelity is not normally a huge concern on room distribution since the speakers are of medium quality to begin with and the music is typically bacground type.

Reply to
rrobertsims

From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Simple answer. Purchase a speaker selector switch at any electronics outlet. The selector switch takes one pair of amplifier outputs and spilts out the output to 4 and up to 8 stereo pairs. (it takes care of the impedance problems).Home run the cable from each stereo pair of speakers in each room to an 8 ohm stereo wall attenuator in that room and then bring the cables back to the speaker selector outputs. Fidelity is not normally a huge concern on room distribution since the speakers are of medium quality to begin with and the music is typically background type.

---------------------------------------------- This was the method i used, works really great and i control where i want sound.I wired a run to the bathroom from the bedroom and I have a volume control knob to lower the volume in the room and let the bathroom dominate the output until one is done bathing or whatever......I have high end speakers located in all 4 zones & a small altec lansing subwoofer in the bathrm high left over the doorway puts out really great audio. Volume controls differ, if you can find a 2 circuit switched type to totally cut off output to one & attenuating the other speaker can come in handy in some places where you don't want to totally cut volume to a zone of a selected speaker pair from the selector. (the misses could be watching soap operas while I shower with Infiite Voyage playing in the bathroom only, then I can just pump up the volume in the room again, lower the tv and get her while she's all misty over whatever's going on in the show };-)

Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Re: Volume control at the speaker? Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Wed, Aug 3, 2005, 9:42pm (EDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pooh=A0Bear) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: Simple answer. Purchase a speaker selector switch at any electronics outlet. The selector switch takes one pair of amplifier outputs and spilts out the output to 4 and up to 8 stereo pairs. (it takes care of the impedance problems). Pray - tell us - how does it do that - " it takes care of the impedance problems " ? I rather think it does no such thing. Graham

-------------------- I guess if you are picturing some cheap switch only box it be hard to see how it works., the good ones have an impedance matching switch as well., in the event you load up the whole dwelling with all speakers on you can attenuate the output by pressing the switch to match the impedance, this way you can raise the volume without clipping & you still get great volume & fidelity throughout the system.

Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

i would use a power amp transistor and in the darlington configuration that way the pot. can be small as the current would be small. you would not have any loss as this is a dc coupled configuration. also it can drive very low impedance loads. any hand book will give you the idea of how.

don

Reply to
don noldy