What is a relay ?

Thanks for all your answers so far. I have a quick follow-up question if you have a moment.

New Question Is: What is a "relay" as defined in the answers below? The "relay" solutions posted previously to my problem sound like the safest solutions of all those kindly suggested. But unfortunately I don't know what a "Relay" is. Could you enlighten me or suggest a web site where this might be explained to something of a beginner?

Original Question Was: "I am in the USA. I would like to switch on / off my 220v Air Conditioner and my 110v attic fan with the same switch. Is there anyway of doing this? The problem being that with 2 separate switches it is possible to forget to switch on the attic fan when we put on the a/c and the a/c "cooks" in the attic."

Repatch Replied: "Use a relay to switch the attic fan, get a 220V relay and connect it's coil to the air conditioner circuit. You COULD do it the other way (let the relay switch the AC) but that would be MUCH more expensive since an AC is pretty large in the current department, a fan is relatively low."

Jack Replied: "Just a thought. Why not put a relay on the low voltage (Thermostat) side of things, and leave the high voltage alone? Or use the proper relay for switching the legs on the high-voltage side, if your set on that side."

In any case many thanks again.

Reply to
benbadger

A relay is like a switch, with a set of contacts. But instead of you using your finger to change the position of the switch, you apply power to a coil. They can be AC or DC at the switch (coil) and have a single throw, double throw, triple, quad, etc.. Which means a DPDT, Double Pole (meaning two sets of switches, Normally Open, Normally Closed, and a Common) Double throw, meaning both at the same time. They each (each side of the relay) has a Common, Normally open, and a Normally closed set of contacts. The Coil (input voltage) when supplied, or taken away changes the state of the switch. An example would be, say I had a 12vdc relay (coil rating), and the contacts where rated at 10amps (two sets, DP). By supplying the 12vdc to the coil, you could switch 2 lights at the same time, as long as you don't exceed the 10 amps per contact (2). Relays come in all kinds of ratings; from the coil voltage, and type, to the ratings of the contacts, usually by amps, or mille-amps.

Jack

Reply to
Jackcsg

There are two answers: just for your information, a relay is one or more switch contacts that are operated by an electromagnetic coil. There are also solid state equivalents that don't use moving contacts and coils. But in both cases the 'contact' outputs are controlled by an electrical signal on another input. The input and outputs are isolated, allowing them to operate on different voltages and current levels.

The practical answer for your situation is: A relay is that thing that a qualified electrician will be installing per the requirements of the applicable electrical codes. If you don't know what a relay is, you probably shouldn't be installing one in your home wiring. By the way, relays that are capable of controlling significant loads like A/C units are called contactors. They work on the same principle, but are rated for heavy line voltage loads.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 6:46:06 -0800, benbadger wrote (in message ):

A relay, in your particular situation, is an automatic switch which is powered by the switch that turns on your AC. The relay would then turn on power to the fan.

In other words, you turn on one switch (the AC). This act turns on both the AC and the relay, which would turn on the fan, as well.

Wiring is pretty straightforward, and if done at the low-voltage level at the thermostat (35 vac, here in the USA, I think), would keep your (inexperienced) hands out of the really dangerous stuff (ie, 120 and 240 vac).

Get a friend who knows about such things, or a professional electrician to help you if you're not qualified.

Good luck,

Reply to
DaveC

Many thanks to all. I'll give what you say careful thought.

Thanks again.

Ben

Reply to
benbadger