AC Relay?

I have a detached workshop and have an airline and 14/3 wire buried between the house and workshop. I want to put the air compressor in the workshop and have air at the house and have the compressor on a 3 way switch (indicator lit switch) so it can be turned on from either place. The 14/3 wire (300' long) is not heavy enough to power the 15 amp compressor. Is there some type of relay that could be powered by the

14/3 wire which in turn would switch the compressor on from a 20 amp circuit next to it. If not waht about using a small transformer and a 12volt relay which could switch the 20 amp hot wire from a circuit next to the compressor. The building has it own 60 amp service.
Reply to
mark

You've got it, use the 12v setup. Try this relay:

If you didn't want to use the 14/3, look at X-10 stuff.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Because of the inductive nature of a motor load, relays/contactors are rated by current and by hp. The relay above is 25 amp, but only 1 hp. I'd guess that your 15 amp compressor is 1 1/2hp. In which case, this relay would be better:

also has an ac coil.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Such relays are called contactors and are a dime a dozen.

Ignoramus23437

An ordinary contactor for air conditioners would work fine. They run on 24 VAC like thermostats.

I don't believe you're allowed to run low-voltage signal lines in the same conduit with power, if that's what you're considering.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Mark, you're making us guess too much. What is the rated horsepower of your motor? Is the 15 amps at 115 or 230 volts (i.e., do you need a single pole or two pole relay)? Are you or do you want to use the buried #14 wire for any other purpose, now or in the future? (seems a waste to use it up for a low current control line.) Is there any other signal connection to the workshop, like telephone? Is the "buried" 14-3 direct burial without a conduit or inside a conduit? How big a conduit? How are you going to get the air to the house? Is the compressor receiver emptied after each period of use or left under pressure? (Might be handy to use pneumatic control if you are running a new air line.)

Actually, I'm not sure there is a prohibition against running control wires in the same conduit as power conductors. There are issues about low voltage lines being terminated in the same box as power lines. Check your local code. Lots of options. No particular need to provide a transformer for low voltage control unless you want to.

awright

Reply to
awright

Imprudent to speculate in favor of risk.

Remote-control circuits less than 30 volts are "Class 1".

2005 NEC 725.26(B)1:

(1) In a Cable, Enclosure, or Raceway. Class 1 circuits and power supply circuits shall be permitted to occupy the same cable, enclosure, or raceway only where the equipment powered is functionally associated.

My understanding is you need a separate physical path for low-voltage signals versus power. You can't run them together through, for example, an underground conduit.

Think about it. If this wasn't prohibited, you'd have every computer geek in the world fishing Ethernet cable through power conduits in old buildings. Sooner or later you'd be shorting out the ungrounded network sockets with AC power.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Since he has 60 amp service out there, I'd guess the 14/3 was once for lighting only and has since been supplanted as a power source for the shop. If so, then it's up for grabs for remote control.

Tom made a good point: with X10 a number of loads in the shop could be remotely controlled over the single 14/3 line. I don't know if there are any X10 load modules that will directly handle 1.5 HP, but they could certainly operate a contactor.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yes,.,google on the term "contactor"

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

That's a "Class 1 Power-Limited Circuit." A "Class 1 Remote-Control and Signalling Circuit" is limited to 600V, but has no power limit.

Doesn't that last statement contradict the NEC quote above it? Unless there are some very recent changes I'm not aware of, as long as the control circuit is associated with the power conductors, and all the conductors are rated for the highest voltage present in the raceway, it's permitted.

The voltage and functional association requirements take care of this.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Reply to
mark

What is X-10?

Reply to
mark

your cat5 likely has a pair of unused wires (iirc, normally ethernet uses 4 wires only), you can easily use those with some simple off the shelf parts to turn your compressor on. it is an easy one evening project.

Ignoramus23437

It modulates a small current onto the power lines . At the other end ( receiving end ) ,

its demodlated and controls stuff , like turns on big expensive contactors ....

Its old tecnology . In Ham radio ( KC7CC ) , there are some big complaints , but i know better , so i ignore em .

" Our cows dont give as much milk under power lines transmitting X-10 signals .."

Thinking about it .... 60hz power lines are dangerous , but not X-10 !!

BTW Just got a new pocket PC , GP2X , gotta hook a USB HDD , and USB-Mouse and, and .... It has USB Host , so it can Surf the web , ,,, boots Linux .. $200 .

Hurry buy it before the Govt outlaws it ! Its the only PDA that hooks a USB host internally . Isnt that funny ? Why dont all PDAs have USB host !!!

mark wrote:

Reply to
werty

It modulates a small current onto the power lines . At the other end ( receiving end ) ,

its demodlated and controls stuff , like turns on big expensive contactors ....

Its old tecnology . In Ham radio ( KC7CC ) , there are some big complaints , but i know better , so i ignore em .

" Our cows dont give as much milk under power lines transmitting X-10 signals .."

Thinking about it .... 60hz power lines are dangerous , but not X-10 !!

BTW Just got a new pocket PC , GP2X , gotta hook a USB HDD , and USB-Mouse and, and .... It has USB Host , so it can Surf the web , ,,, boots Linux .. $200 .

Hurry buy it before the Govt outlaws it ! Its the only PDA that hooks a USB host internally . Isnt that funny ? Why dont all PDAs have USB host !!!

mark wrote:

Reply to
werty

You're not making any sense.

Nobody has shown that 60Hz power lines are dangerous.

What the FARK are you talking about? Why would the government care?

You're wrong about that too.

I'm trying to think of a PDA I've owned that I couldn't use USB with. I can't.

What's your point & goal in posting, exactly?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Good question. Problem is that werty won't be able to answer. Others may able to do a diagnostic but......

Reply to
Ken Davey

I wonder if he is rambling about BSR X-10.

Reply to
clutch

I was going to suggest a "Psychic Relay" but not everybody can get those to work reliably.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Matters not. We consider a 24 VAC contactor or the like with no overcurrent protection on the signal circuit, necessitating a power- limited source.

No. While you could run a dedicated power circuit (for an air compressor or other hard-wired appliance) and control (alone) in the same conduit, you could not run a 24 VAC control line in the conduit that happens to also supply, say, a sub-panel for a detached shop. In short, you need a conduit or buried cable or whatever separate from any other power lines to the building, if there are any others.

Typical low-voltage cable does not carry a 600V rating, nor is there overcurrent protection on the control circuit.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch