What is the advantage of 208 compared to 120/240

I'm in a battle at work with a coworker that decided to install a 480v to
208-120/240v three phase transformer and panel. After checking pricing, I
could have installed a 480v to 120/240v single phase transformer and panel
for 100s of dollars less, (every company wants to save money). IS there any
advantages to 208 three phase compared to 120/240 single phase transformers?
The company I work for does not use 208v for any of it's equipment and this
panel will be use to power recepticals and lighting.
Thanks Guys
MainTech
Reply to
MainTech
in article 8oVjb.576232$Oz4.551851@rwcrnsc54, MainTech at Main_Tech snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com wrote on 10/17/03 10:10 AM:
If the 480 VAC is three phase, as I would expect it to be, there is little down side. It requires no extra wires assuming that there is a considerable load. You will get three 120 V sources that could, if necessary provid 208 line to line. If you get a three phase transformer for the conversion, you might be able to save on transformer cost.
Bill
Reply to
Repeating Decimal
The 120/208 3ph-4w panel will give you better load balance. The 480/208v 3 ph transformer with the appropriate delta or zigzag windings will cancel 3rd harmonic load currents, keeping them off the 480v system neutral.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
How much is the total load of this panel? If it's almost trivial (100A or less) it might be worth it to scrimp, otherwise I'd expect the cost to be fairly close and you'll want to balance the load anyway.
Also, if you ever wish to install a 3 phase widget that doesn't come in a 277/480V version, you'll regret not having the 3 phase panel.
Reply to
Michael Moroney
transformers?
Or if you have large motor loads, 3 phase becomes important.
Sincerely,
Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc. 145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264
snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address) 614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Site Timeline