Whatever happened to MHD?

Whatever happened to magnetohydrodyamics (MHD) for electric power generation? This was a big topic back in the mid '70s according to my "Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers", with test setups being done by Avco in the United States and in Moscow...but I get the impression that MHD never really took off after those days.

I suppose with combined-cycle gas turbines hitting over 50% efficiency (the big new General Electric and Alsthom turbines being examples), that the motivation for MHD as a "topping" cycle has faded. Certainly the difficulties of getting a gas to conduct electricity didn't make MHD any easier to implement, and the issue of "seed" material recovery would also have added to the complexity.

Is there a commerical-scale MHD in operation out there, or, like fusion research, is the primary product of MHD research papers?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

It wasn't getting the gas to conduct, it was getting the materials in the hot plasma to survive for a reasonable length of time. As far as I know, the papers produced, if burnt probably could produce as much energy as the actual devices did. I could be wrong as I am pretty well out of circulation. --- Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca remove the urine to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly