Where to scavenge mu-metal?

Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a square foot or so...

Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Nope, only in higher-end legacy lab equipment. With legacy I mean >>25 years old.

Reply to
Joerg

Wrapped around old oscilloscope tubes. I don't think old TVs ever merited its use.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Old oscilloscopes or the like would be your best bet for this

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

MassiveProng wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Piss off.

You got that lawyer yet?

Reply to
Lamey

I have vague memories of hearing that if you bend it (or straighten it) then it loses its special properties and needs to be re-annealed in some fancy vacuum furnace thing or something like that. If you found a weird-shaped piece of this stuff inside an old oscilloscope then I I'm not sure that you could use it unless you needed it in exactly the shape that you found it in.

There is a German place that sells little mu-metal boxes (cylindrical cans actually):

here is some self-adhesive mu-metal foil:
Actually I suppose the existence of the mu-metal foil product brings into question whether it really matters whether you bend the mu-metal. Perhaps someone else knows for certain.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Look at old oscilloscopes.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

** Where does this jerk off get his weird ideas from ??

The laws of magnetics have not been repealed in the last 25 years.

ALL good quality scopes using CRTs have mu-metal shields.

Even ones made today.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On flat screen displays? What for? Sorry, but that would be like applying sun screen under the swimsuit.

Note that he wrote he needs a square foot. I've only seen that much in really old scopes. Newer CRT versions have a skinny shield right around the CRT and that ain't going to be enough to harvest a complete sqft from.

Reply to
Joerg

Back in the days of 90 degree delta-gun shadowmask tubes, an external magnetic shield most certainly was used around the bowl. The degaussing coils were usually fixed to it, and it mounted using the same four corner bolts as fixed the tube to the cabinet front. Many were my sliced fingers, from the razor-sharp edges of these shields, when I was an apprentice engaged in replacing these tubes ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:29:38 GMT, Joerg Gave us:

Learn to read, dummy. It says RIGHT THERE 8 lines up... C R T s

Old 20" CRTs for PCs as well as some TVs have it.

Then he'll just have to cannibalize two. D'oh!

Reply to
MassiveProng

Why?

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I used to think so, but when I went to college, I learned that it's made from cats!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:20:12 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

He wants to see if it works as well as tin foil for alien/government shield hat making.

Reply to
MassiveProng

"MassiveProng" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Wasn't there some of this stuff involved in a Lil' Abner episode?

Reply to
Long Ranger

My bench power supply's transformer is coupling hum into my breadboard. Yes, I can move my circuit farther away, but I'd rather solve the problem (short of replacing an otherwise good supply) than the symptom.

It's a 70's vintage lam transformer with half a dozen secondary windings. I'd prefer a toroid, but it will be cheaper to simply shield this one.

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Mu-metal probably won't help. A copper shorting strap around the transformer would. You can make that out of sheet copper, or even bare wire and a lot of solder.

Or, um, move it farther away.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Flashing material can be obtained at almost every major hardware store. But not the Al stuff, as that won't solder...

Reply to
Joerg