Whirlpool Wiring and Bonding

Remodeling and installing a Whirlpool has 120v 3wire pigtail with plug

1st Question is can GFCI 's for this be put in a subpanel ?

2nd does this need a seperate bonding wire back to the entrance panel?

3rd If bonding is necessary can it be to a cold water pipe?
Reply to
Ron

Yes you can put a GFCI breaker in virtually any panel you can buy or you can use a GFCI receptacle.

A sub panel should have a 4 wire feeder from the entrance panel. 2 hots, neutrakl and ground with a seprate ground and neutral bus in the panel

No.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for info

Reply to
Ron

Sure, just see below....

Yes in a way, the last time I dealt with this the NEC required that the bond be unbroken (no splices) from the device all the way back to the service entrance panel bonding point. And I would need to check but I believe may be a minimum wire size of #10 and solid wire requirement as well, anybody else, my code books at work,

In ADDITION to the continuious bond back to the service entrance panel you should have any METAL water pipe and water heater tanks bonded as well.

Reply to
softh

When you find this please post the article. It's new to me and I have been working with the NEC for 30 years. The only place I know of that requires an unspliced #12 grounding wire is the ECG to a wet niche light in a pool.

You should bond the case to the box that feeds the appliance but even that is not a code requirement. The ground in the plug is all you need to meet the code.

Reply to
Greg

Hooboy. We just had a whirlpool installed, and the electrician ran a ground wire (looks like #10 or #8) from the ground lugs on the pump and heater to clamps on the copper cold and hot pipes - and that's it. The electrical inspector was here today and he approved of everything, although he didn't actually check the ground. He did check for and was happy to see the GFI outlets for the pump and heater.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

You must live in a place that hasn't heard of plastic. (meters, water softeners. whole house filters and general repairs). The NEC has pretty much abandoned water piping as a ground path. Even your GEC to a cold water pipe within 5 feet of the entrance of the building, has to be supplimented with a rod if no other electrode is available. You should be bonding machine frames to an equipment grounding conductor.

Reply to
Greg

This is in Massachusetts, where unions (including plumber's unions) are strong. AFAIK, all domestic water piping is supposed to be copper here.

fwiw, another electrician upgraded my service to 200A a few years ago. He added two ground rods as well as grounding to where the water pipe entered the house and clamped it to both sides of the meter (so no current would have to pass through it)

Reply to
Michael Moroney

Actually, it's to ensure that you still have a "water pipe" ground when the meter is removed (either replacement or you lose service.)

Reply to
John Gilmer

This sounds like he *bonded* all the metal parts of the whirlpool together. This is an important safety measure. He may not have been connecting to the cold pipe for a ground, but just to *bond* all metal parts together. You did mention that he connected to both hot and cold pipes.

The pump and heater feeder from the service panel most likely includes a ground wire back to the panel for *grounding*. And hopefully there is a GFCI breaker in the panel as well.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Yes, there are two 12-2+G feeders that go to two GFCI outlets. The pump and heater plug into them with 3 prong grounded outlets. This is in addition to the bonding lugs mentioned earlier.

No breakers have been installed in the panel yet.

Reply to
Michael Moroney