why three phase system is not preferred in aircrafts power circuits....

I don't know, but whatever it is for the Northeast Corridor Amtrak, it has to be able to operate off of 3 different suppplies: 12kV 25 Hz, 12kV 60 Hz, 25kV 60 Hz. The 12kV may be 11kV, you can see warning signs about

11,000 volts on some of the older equipment from the trains. They may have boosted the overall voltage from 11kV to 12kV, perhaps at the same times nominal home voltage went from 110V to 120V.

I see "Danger 480V" on access panels on the side of railcars so apparently

480V is used as an intermediate voltage.
Reply to
Michael Moroney

Thanks- I wasn't sure. However, there are some advantages to high speed motors as the weight/HP/volume ratio is better than for slower motors. Of course there are more reactance problems- both L and C. On land or on ships- there is less need to save weight. However, I do recall a compressor which was driven at these higher speeds -in a refinery. The details are now pretty hazy.

Reply to
Don Kelly

In some countries there is still electrical railway systems operating at 16.7 Hz electrical power. Many other countries run their electrical transis with 25 kV 50 Hz power.

"The countries Germany, Austria, and Switzerland use a traction power network for railways, distributing single-phase AC at 16.7 Hz. A frequency of 25 Hz was used for the German railway Mariazeller Bahn and some railway systems in New York and Pennsylvania (Amtrak) in the USA."

"Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden and Norway use traction power networks for railways, distributing single-phase AC at 16. Hz. "

Then there are those special applications where DC power is used and ditributed. DC is commonly found in many low-voltage applications, especially where these are powered by batteries. Telephone exchange communication equipment, such as DSLAM, uses standard -48V DC power supply. Positive 12V, 24V, 48V, 110V and

220V voltage power supplies (battery backed up) are used in by control systems used by electrical utilities and some industrial automation applications. An electrified third rail carrying a DC is used to power both underground (subway) and overground trains (for example use 600V-1200V DC
).
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Ken