Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day.
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:49:35 GMT someone who may be Alex Coleman

Only the bit between the ceiling rose and lamp holder. As has been said, the cable can carry far more then the masses stated in the Wiring Regulations or by the manufacturer.
In the fittings themselves one could only ignore the strain relief fittings if they were frictionless ideal pulleys in the Newtonian model. However, they are not frictionless ideal pulleys.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Isn't the notion of using live mains-carrying uninsulated copper wire (at the bulbholder terminals) to provide physical support just a bit more risky than it needs to be?

The same sort of thing happens all the time - on power pylons.
--
Frank Erskine

Yes. And with suitable design precautions taken when designing pylons and their wires. With only professionls allowed to mess with them.
OTOH I am talking about Joe Soap and domestic use.
Good old Joe may see a very heavy lampshade (intended for a standard lamp) and think it must also be ok on his home-installed lampholder. It could be too heavy. And in this case we are talking about potentially dangerous mains electricity.
Alex Coleman wrote:

Much ado about nothing where most of us are concerned.
You'll never prevent stupidity though you sound like someone who should not be attempting DIY.

Joe Soap is the character. I am real. Don't mix us up!