Need a little help, lost dorm key

I would venture to say that if one were to go back to the beginning posts and responses they would find very few "locksmiths" especially back in '92. At least in the US, unless you worked for the defense department, a large bank or were in university (with some very small exceptions like Nyx and a few other experimental servers, you probably weren't on the internet, or at least weren't using nntp news groups. And I am pretty sure FIDO wasn't a viable way in either.)

I can remember lurking back then, and though I thought I remember posting at least once, can't seem to find it in google's archives :) But even back then, you can see that people were pretty careful. It as a b*d to get a copy of the MIT guide. And a royal PITA to get it printed out.

I don't disagree that one should use his own better judgment when replying to most requests for defeating instructions. But I think that is a matter of personal ethics.

Just my $0.02

Absinthe

professional, and

was referring to a a "real" professional as one that practices good ethics. defeating instruction is self explanatory.

amount of

agree but this group has changed over the years.

instructions, that does not

also agree but it doesn't make it right. I am only talking about the "real" professionals.

made that clear.

Freddie was nothing but a troll. although he was an educated troll. many here didn't agree with his outlook on the matter either.

comfort

or worse.

agree that there probably will never be an agreement on this subject.

discussing

everyone here

my whole point exactly. nuff said !

g'day

Reply to
"Key

roommate

at

card

closed

upperclassman

latch,

for

room now.

yea, noticed that :-)

Reply to
"Key

One of the things you're supposed to learn in college is responsibility.

Go to the dorm leader, or locksmith on campus and explain the situation. They will tell you how to get a replacement key. Whatever they say to do, you do what they say.

This is a great learning experience.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is no hard and fast line as to what is a "defeating instruction" or not: If I said that American padlocks impression easier than picking, I have certainly given a method of defeating them, but only those who have developed decent impressioning skills can do it. If, on the other hand, I explained in great detail how to make an american padlock bypass tool, or where one can buy one, no questions asked from the internet, I would have crossed over my personal line. Both methods open the same padlock, but discussing one is much more questionable than the other.

Then why do you always reply to questionable posts with the "defeating instructions aren't given here" line? Why waste your time writing it? Just say that YOU don't give them, or ignore the post, etc if you feel compelled to respond. Stormin' Mormon has the right approach when he talks about why HE will or will not discuss a topic. Most of us just ignore stuff that we won't discuss openly, or shift to private email.

Reply to
bob555

Um, thanks for the advice. First off, I'm a female, not a male. Secondly, all the doors in my residence halls are similar. Most can be broken into with a credit card, which is a well known fact among the residents, and I'm pretty sure the administrators know this by now. I don't really think they'd bother to fix the problem, anyway.

Secondly, I looked into getting a duplicate of the key. A fellow resident who's been here a while says that it's pretty difficult because the keys have an extra groove on them to prevent people from getting duplicates from some nearby retail store or whatever (I am in the middle of nowhere anyway). I don't know if this is true as I haven't really tried it yet. I think I'm just going to shell out $20 for another key.

As for having a defective door, recently another resident got locked out and we tried the card thing, but couldn't because the gap inbetween the door and frame was considerably tighter than my door. So I gave him an old wire hanger to break in with.

That's somewhat frightening, the fact that someone can get into any room with just a plastic card or a wire coat hanger. And as for bragging about my "accomplioshment" - it doesn't really matter, as most of the floor has already locked themselves out at one time or another and have either broken in themselves or gotten someone else to do it for them.

Despite that stolen goods isn't really a huge occurance here. I don't know why.

And as for announcing how to break into my room, scroll up a couple sentences.

Again, thanks for the advice/suggestions. I'm out.

~B Spider

Reply to
Barking Spider

Reply to
Bryan McLaren

If I were you I would be a little more concerned about the ease with which someone can break into your room than you seem to be. It doesn't really matter that crimes don't happen frequently if you are the victim of one.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere