New trade?

Hello All;

As a forty year tool and diemaker I may be forced into retirement due to the shenanegans at Delphi Automotive. I have long thought of entering the locksmith trade specializing in lockout service, perhaps further specializing in auto lock outs.

Here are my questions:

Auto club towing services respond to these type of calls with a plethora of specialized tools designed to manipulate the locking mechanisms from within the doors. It appears from the manual I own that most makes/models of cars require their own unique tool. Furthermore, due to the increased content of electrical components and wiring within the doors, those weilding these tools are cautioned about damaging same.

Having said all that, are these type of tools used because A: car door locks are not able to be picked or B: tow truck drivers don't have the skill to pick (either because they're not skillful or because, for whatever reason, they are not taught how).

It appears to me that because of the ever changing internal designs and the necessity to be forever investing in new door tools, that lock picking (for those that have the ability) would be the way to go.

Comments please.

trebor