Cu Tensile Strength v Temperature

Where does the tensile strength of copper start to drop off precipitously?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

precipitously?

It depends on the alloy and temper condition. Get off the web and to your friendly local public library or engineering library. You will find graphs in the ASM Handbook or Metals Handbook. In the 9th edition, see Volume 2 (Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and pure metals). Look in the section on Properties of Wrought Coppers and Copper Alloys. See P 277 for C10100, P 287 for C11000, etc. For C11000 the O61 temper drops off slowly up to 1200 F while the H02 temper drops off rapidly at over 400 F probably due to recrystallization. Pittsburgh Pete

Reply to
metalengr

Good advice, Pete; but what if one's library does not have the ASM Handbooks in their collection. A while back I was looking for some elementary information on steels alloyed to have enhanced resistance to high energy neutron irradiation damage. I had heard many years ago that a tiche more that a trace of copper was alloyed, but never saw any specifics.

Reply to
Jack Ferman

The local university has a whole lot more than what I want which is just the basics. I always get distracted with unrelated subject matter, even in materials.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill