effects of strain

I'm studying strain effects on semiconductor materials and i've found that strain remove degeneracy in valence band: tensile with lh upper
to hh, compressive with heavy-holes upper to light-holes. I don't understand the effects on bandgap: for example tensile compression increases or decreases the bandgap (respect to unstrained material)? Or this effect depends on physical propriety of semiconductor? thanks