effects of strain

I'm studying strain effects on semiconductor materials and i've found
that strain remove degeneracy in valence band: tensile with lh upper
to hh, compressive with heavy-holes upper to light-holes. I don't
understand the effects on bandgap: for example tensile compression
increases or decreases the bandgap (respect to unstrained material)?
Or this effect depends on physical propriety of semiconductor?
thanks
Reply to
lionelgreenstreet

Site Timeline