Small volume PVD/CVD service needed

I'm working on a project and will require about 100 components (3" x 3" stainless steel, flat sheet with curved lip on 3 sides)coated with TiN. I have emailed 7 companies and not had a response from any. Is it generally the case that these companies just won't deal with low volume? I mean if things work out there would be more business in the future. Just seems the companies offering these services aren't interested unless you come to them with 6 figures worth of business off the bat.

Are there any companies that anyone here would recommend?

Reply to
Jonsey

Are these big national companies or small, local machine shops? Email is a great communication tool. But its always better to make the initial contact with a company by phone or in person. They can tell you right away whether your order is worth their time.

For prototype work its usually easier to deal with a small local shop. They are used to dealing with small production runs. Contact them by phone and then go visit their shop so you can explain (in person) your design requirements and answer any questions they may have.

Developing a good working relationships with your local machine shops can be invaluable. Treat them well. They can really help out, especially when you need something in a hurry.

Reply to
Paul O

In addition, you might try a local university with engineering or materials departments. You might get a more specific suggestion if you tell everyone your approximate location.

Reply to
dvt

Here's a facility I've used with success:

I don't know if they do TiN, and I don't know how they handle small jobs for people outside the university. And they might be half a world away from you.

Reply to
dvt