Input needed Plans Plotting Service

Hello everyone,

I am considering starting a plans plotting service. I have the equipment to print 36" wide by 72" tall plans in black and white or full color. This service would be available to folks who either have hand sketches or computer drawings of their model designs.

Can you please reply with a few of your opinions:

  1. Would you pay plus .95 shipping to have your plans printed?
  2. Have you ever designed your own model?
  3. If you currently sell a kit would you be interested in receiving a quote printing your plans?
  4. Would you pay 0 to have your hand drawings turned into professional computer drawings?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Batcheller

Are you talking printing from DXF or DWG files or simply copying existing hard copy?

For how many sheets? I believe Kinko's will do it cheaper.

Yes.

Not at your quoted price in the first question.

Sorry, I can to it myself. You can't make a blanket price, you must charge by the hour. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Isn't he allowed to charge anyway he wants to?

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Maybe I should have said "If you want to sell anything, you shouldn't..." for the more literal-minded grammar police who can't read, or read between the lines in here.

He can charge what he wants to, Dan. But charging is one thing, getting some stupe to buy is another. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Yes I am talking about plotting DXF or DWG files. Right now I am not considering copying plans only plotting plans.

The $100 bucks was just an estimate of an hourly cost for the adverage plan.

Will Kinkos plot your DXF files for you? The only place I know of that will do it is a local photo shop and they want $100 bucks a sheet.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Batcheller

I get my files plotted at a local engineering and design firm. They charge me what it costs them, around $5 for a 36" x 48" sheet. Many print and drafting shops will plot DXF or DWG for not much more. A photo shop would charge more, probably. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I do mine at work, on Saturday when the engineers aren't using the plotter - all it costs is the shoe leather to walk across the plant to their domain(1/4 mile walk). I can plot from my computer, & by the time I get across the plant, they're usually done. I have a topographical map program that the engineers really like to plan out their hunting trips on, so it works out well for all of us. They get to plot their maps, & I get to plot my plans. I've even offered to buy a roll of paper once in a while, but they told me not to bother.

Reply to
Paintballmavin

Chris, sounds like you're going after a niche market that porbably won't support you as a regular source of income.

The service that I use can handle plots of any size (paper comes off of a roll). and they can handle any form of image (TIF, HPGL, DXF, etc.) plus scan in (CD or for manipulation before printing.)

I suggest that you check around to see what service bureaus in your area are offering and aim at going after a broader amrket than just modellers. Getting copies of their information brochures and price lists will give you an idea of what you're competing against.

These bureaus survive on the fact that they're good, convenient, and can deliver the goods when the chips are down.

The one I use had four jobs going simultaneously when I walked in their doors the last time I was there. Two big construction jobs and at least one condo developer, judign from what I saw of the plans as they were coming off of the printer. Fortunately, I was in getting a scan job done so I got slotted into their workstream immediately.

If you think that you can do it, my hat's off to you! Just have a business plan in place and stick to it. Business plan includes "how I get paid, when and what taxes do I have to pay".

That's ten years of self-employed consulting talking.

Bruce

Reply to
Byrocat

My local Kinko's DOES plot DXF or DWG files and they DO NOT charge $100 a sheet. As in any proposed business endeavor, you might want to do a little more research other than a one quick phone call before you dive in and embarrass yourself.

MJC

professional

Reply to
MJC

It's hard to imagine any place CHARGING $100 a sheet, but it's harder imagining anyone PAYING that! Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I just called and got a quote from Kinko's. For a 36" x 72" plan printed, B&W, from my CAD file is $15.00 plus tax. That sounds hard to beat.

Reply to
Marlowe