faux soap for carving

http://www.ivory.com/fun.htm
Is there a material that would carve well and have the smooth finish of soap, and not be water soluble?
Thanks,
Dan T
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Wax?
Paraffin? (In the sense used in the U.S., petroleum product that is solid and used to make candles, not U.K. usage for a flammable liquid we call "kerosene"). Note that paraffin is technically not a wax, but that is a distinction lost on the general public.
Friendly Plastic? Commercial plastic-like substance which softens and melts in hot water. I don't know anything about its carveability.
Soapstone. Guess why they call it that.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

[You might consider a carvable wax. You can get a blue machinable wax from www.freemansupply.com, or a green version called Ferris File-a-wax, which is popular with jewelers.]
Andrew Werby www.unitedartworks.com