Metal Springs in Liquid Nitrogen?

I need to build an apparatus in which a spring is used to press two parts together, then the entire apparatus is immersed in liquid nitrogen. I expect the spring to shrink when cooled, of course, but I hope I can find a spring that will contiunue to behave more or less like a spring when cooled to 77K (-196C, or -321F). Any suggestions?

Also, what effect will this sort of thermal cycling (room temp, liquid N2, back to room temp) have on Aluminum, Copper, and Lead? Are there any metals that I should specifically avoid using?

Reply to
Paul Ciszek

Steel becomes brittle at low temperatures--the harder, the higher the temperature.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Only bcc steels.

Michael Dahms

f'up2 s.m

Reply to
Michael Dahms

No effect in pure fcc materials.

Michael Dahms

f'up2 s.m

Reply to
Michael Dahms

Springs made of Austenitic stainless steels such as AISI 301, 302 etc. or springs mafe of BeCu alloys such as CDA 170, 172, 175.

Reply to
Barak

I think copper alloy is the best material. like Cu-Be alloy

Reply to
À̱Ե¿