Metal Springs in Liquid Nitrogen?

I need to build an apparatus in which a spring is used to press two
parts together, then the entire apparatus is immersed in liquid
nitrogen. I expect the spring to shrink when cooled, of course, but
I hope I can find a spring that will contiunue to behave more or less
like a spring when cooled to 77K (-196C, or -321F). Any suggestions?
Also, what effect will this sort of thermal cycling (room temp, liquid
N2, back to room temp) have on Aluminum, Copper, and Lead? Are there
any metals that I should specifically avoid using?
Reply to
Paul Ciszek
Springs made of Austenitic stainless steels such as AISI 301, 302 etc. or springs mafe of BeCu alloys such as CDA 170, 172, 175.
Reply to
Barak

Site Timeline