EVO-STIK LIQUID METAL

Hi folks, I have brought some Evo-stik liquid metal.which according to Evo-stik it is the "Ultimate metal adhesive, Almost as strong as welding". But further down the tube it says "Recommendations are for guidance only since conditions of use are completely beyond our control". Is this the ultimate get out clause, I doubt that nothing will be stuck on Evo- stik if you trusted their "Almost as strong as welding" claim (You might also be wise not trust my almost welding but I am not making any claims). I tried Googling to find a data sheet or any info to no avail. All I want to know is, how strong is it? How long before it is cured? What temperature is it OK at? Or are they just the Ultimate metal adhesive claims? In short does it do what it says on the tin? Best Regards Alan

Reply to
jackary

In article , jackary writes

Alan,

Modern adhesives are amazingly strong. ISTR they even stick things like aircraft composite wing parts. The really vital part is surface preparation, which has to be near-perfect to get the maximum adhesion. Since this is outside the manufacturer's control, they have to make the disclaimer.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Why not ask Evode or whoever owns the company now?

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

30 seconds on Google:

John

Reply to
John Nice

In article , John Nice writes

Hardly gives any useful information though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Yes, but no sign of a product data sheet giving mechanical properties. OK they quote the temperature limits, but they don't admit to the class of adhesive. Polyurethane? All the safety data sheet tells you is that it contains some silanes.

Reply to
newshound

In my (admittedly limited) experience, even the strongest adhesive creates a weaker bond than ordinary soft-solder.

Reply to
lemel_man

Thank you all for replying, I am a bit wiser now. It seems that I just have to try and test and find out by experience which is probably ok for the amateur but I don't think industry would be very impressed with this scant information and would require a product data sheet with at least some performance guarantee. Best Regards Alan

Reply to
jackary

I just looked at the Bostik website and you can indeed obtain safety data sheets from there as I suggested previously. There is also an email submission form for any queries. Ask the company!

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Dammit, it gives the manufacturer/importer name so it ain't rocket science to ask them for more data.

John

Reply to
John Nice

Not being entirely flippant, I bet epoxy does better on aluminium

The lack of a downloadable product data sheet doesn't fill me with confidence, though. It's the sort of support you offer up front if you are selling to the trade and want to get repeat orders.

Reply to
newshound

They aren't selling this product to the trade. They're selling it to people that buy stuff at Beanq. There are high strength adhesives for metals that are used in industry, but they don't generally come in caulking gun cartridges with exaggerated claims about their strength.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

One thing that helps with bonding metals is to wire brush the surface after it is wetted with the bonding agent. This can be especially helpful with aluminum. After cleaning the surfaces very well and wetting with the bonding agent use a small, CLEAN, stainless steel wire brush, similar to a tooth brush, to rough up the surface and remove any oxides. The bonding agent prevents anymore atmospheric contamination. After the brushing then of course you must actually press the pieces of metal together. ERS

Reply to
etpm