cold liquid metal

Hello, I was just wondering of anyone could offer any information at all on cold liquid bronze, brass, or copper. Something that a catalyst could be added to and it could be poured with out heat? Iam not even sure if this is possible so any info at all would be great .

Thanx Rob

Reply to
Rob Van

I'm sorry, at room temperature these metals are solid. Nor can you dissolve a metal using a catalyst. There are liquids (acids) that will dissolve metals but this surely isn't what you want.

What are you trying to do? There are very low-melting-temp alloys out there that will melt below the temp of boiling water, but they still require some heat. And these look sort of silvery but not like bronze, brass or copper.

Grant

Rob Van wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Not sure where you are going with this. There are metal filled epoxies that look kinda like metal when finished. Grizzly used to sell them. not sure if they are in the new catalog.

Also, there is a type of "fimo" like clay that can be formed and baked off to leave a mostly metal substrate. The shrinkage is incredible..on the order of 30 percent but it does act and look like metal when finished. Bakes off in the oven like fimo. It was available from some jewelry supply stores..one that comes to mind is TSR in Seattle. Also probably in the back of the Lapidary Journal.

And finally, there was a kids jewelry casting kit that used colored low melting temperature alloys available at one time. Sometimes you can find the kits still on clearance at toy stores..or sometimes just re-fills of the metal. Similar to the low temperature fixturing alloys but with some sort of "brassy" color added.

Details of what you want to do may help

Koz

Rob Van wrote:

Reply to
Koz

Are you talking about epoxy products?

Reply to
ATP

Rob Van wrote: Hello, I was just wondering of anyone could offer any information at all on cold liquid bronze, brass, or copper. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ This would give new meaning to the term "cold fusion," but I am afraid, with either meaning, it ain't happenin'.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Hey, weren't you here looking for invisible aluminum a while ago?

Reply to
Ted Bennett

I have some cold metal that pours nicely at room temperature, but it isn't bronze and it stays liquid.

Reply to
Nick Hull

I once used gallium in a magnesium electrolytic cell for a tracer. Melted in my hand. IIRC, it had the widest liquid temperature range of any element. I don't think it's cheap or easy to get, though.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Heavily loaded urethane and polyester resins are pretty common in the sculpture world. See

for an explanation of how to make a pretty decent casting with Smooth-On urethane resins and powdered metal.

Luminore makes a castable and a spray finish thant can be polished like metal.

The big bronzes at the Luxor and MGM Grand are sprayed with Luminore. It is not cheap though. They deal mostly with professional applicators.

Some> Hello, I was just wondering of anyone could offer any information at all on

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

JB Weld, Maybe.

Reply to
Bob Swinney

Aye, that's *transparent* aluminum, kiptin.

Scotty

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I've got a chunk of transparent aluminium. It's not very expensive, in the artificial form. Transparent sapphire/AlO2.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Rob

There is a thing called a Periodic table that has all of the elements listed on it. Usually they give the material properties such as melting point, boiling point, density, name, symbol, atomic weight, atomic number, etc.

Basic high school chemistry information.

A metal that is liquid at room temperature is mercury. It freezes at

-38.8C

Bob

Reply to
Bonza

How about a sodium/potassium alloy that is liquid at room temp?

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb

I think you're talking about filled epoxies here, I've seen these retailed as some sort of "cold" metal repairs. They've got metal in them but they just ain't metal... No brickbats, JB Weld enthusiasts, please.

What do you want to do with them? If you say what you're proposed project is, we might be able to come up with some ideas here.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Just make sure it is used in a vacuum?

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Never mind that it's more than likely gonna be explosive at "room humidity"! :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Look for amalgahms (spelling is wrong). These are metals disolved in mercury with a slow acting catalyst that absorbs the mercury, leaving the metal in solid form. The silver & gold "filings" used in dentistry are possibly the most known examples.

Hul

Rob Van wrote: : Hello, I was just wondering of anyone could offer any information at all on : cold liquid bronze, brass, or copper. : Something that a catalyst could be added to and it could be poured with out : heat? Iam not even sure if this is possible so any info at all would be : great . : : Thanx : Rob : :

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Yeah but you can't hold that in your hand for very long before it dissolves right through it ;)

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Reply to