Painting PVC pipes

Can anyone recommend which paint to use to paint PVC pipes? The paint should be as durable as possible.

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
Charles Chips

Rough or smooth? If it's the smooth, shiny stuff, you'll have to sand it. After that, any primer and paint should be fine.

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua

You can avoid sanding the pipe by lightly rubbing it down with a clear PVC primer first. I said "lightly" because it actually softens the outside of the pipe (this is the same solvent used prior to glueing the pipe so be very sparing with it. It is also highly flammable.) After that, you can use most any enamel paint. However, Krylon now has a paint that is used for plastic patio furniture and reportedly has a bondable feature for use with PVC. I would check into it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Last year I painted my furnace intake/exhaust pipes. Sanded lightly (with 220 I think, just enough to take off the gloss), primed it with some gray spray primer I had on the shelf, then finished it with a couple coats of gray enamel (again what I had on hand, Krylon maybe?) to blend with the grayish siding. Its only year later but looks fine.

Reply to
Kevin S.