Helmholtz resonator

Hello,

I am working on a project to reduce the noise levels for a vacuum and a pressure air pump used in a medical device. Initial measurements seem to show that the majority of the noise comes from the exhaust ports of the vacuum pump that are vented to the outside via ~ 0.125 inch ID PVC tubing. We have tried a "torturous path" type baffle system, but would like to apply come science to it, to hopefully make it even more affective. I was wondering if a Helmholtz resonator could work, but did not know if I could use a "tee" fitting in the output line to "feed" the resonator, and then the other branch of the tee going to the outlet port.

We cannot let the vacuum pump exhaust inside the enclosure because of heat issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
michael_niemotka

If space is no problem, use an automobile exhaust as a quick and dirty trial. Then you could custom make a muffler box with a glass pack stuffing. (You wouldn't want to allow air to suck back into the pump however....) Resonators are single frequency devices.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott