Idea for a rapid open valve

I am trying to build a small air cannon that can launch a tennis ball with attached fishing line about 200 feet up in the air. Of course I want to make it as inexpensive as I can. It seems the most difficult/expensive part is a valve that will open quickly and flow the air quickly. My idea is to cover a fitting with some kind of foil and screw it back together. Then aim the device, start pumping till the foil breaks and lets the air through. What I don't know is a good starting point on thickness, material, and diameter to start my tests with. It is my understanding that 60psi should be enough to get the job done. I also don't know if this will be very repeatable, in other words will it break at 20 psi one time and 60 the next?

Since this isn't going to be used very often, the trouble of unscrewing the reservoir from the pressure tank and replacing the foil shouldn't be that big of a disadvantage.

Any recommendations? Can any one do the calculations on what thickness and material of foil I need to break at 60psi with a diameter between .75 and 1.5 inches?

Reply to
Chris W

Why dont you use a solenoid valve? Pretty inexpensive and much more repeatable than aluminum foil.

Reply to
ms

Dear Chris W:

Roughly, a "rupture disk".

I'd see if you can get chummy with someone at a company that makes rupture disks.

Your "screw back together" operation will provide the lion's share of your variability. The other source of variability will be the final thickness and temper of the metal film (after you are done "mangling" it to get it in place). High volume commercial films might be uniform, and might not.

Make sure the "tennis ball" is very close to the foil when it is ruptured. This will place most of the compressed air behind it...

You might consider forcing the rupture of a thicker film, so that it does not go off accidentally.

You might consider machining the bore of your gun (or at least an initial orifice place) so that the tennis ball provides the necessary back pressure (or at least some fill delay). That way a standard CO2 cartridge (or paintball gas cartridge) could do the job.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Or a diaphragm in a shock tunnel. You could look in the literature for such.

Reply to
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

I don't know about the repeatability issue you have raised. Such diaphragms are a big part of shock tube operation. However, if a solenoid valve with the appropriate flow area* Cv is available a known technique to get them open faster is to run them at much higher voltage, ie kV's on a 24V solenoid. Yes, they don't last as long, but what the hey. They are cheap.

Reply to
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

Chris W wrote: It seems the most

There are a number of dump valve designs out there that will suffice. The most popular is a modified sprinkler solenoid. You can replace the electric solenoid with a mechanical trigger. You can also use two or more in parallel if you need more valve area. Burst disk valves are more usually employed on fuel vapor spud guns that are triggered by an electric ignition circuit, the burst disc there to aid in flame propagation and maximum energy. The valve is the easy part. Having some experience with tethered projectiles, I will say that I expect the most difficult part will not in fact be the dump valve, but instead be designing and building a mechanism that will allow your fishing line to play out at high velocity without snaring. It is not as simple as it initially seems. It is also more dangerous than you might think. If your two hundred yards worth of line snares at six feet with sufficient momentum in the tennis ball to drive it another 194 feet it can be far more exciting than you desire I expect.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Vincent

Some one else mentioned a standard solenoid valve. A trick used in shock and expansion tube aero facilities is to use high voltage (multiple kV) on standard 24V solenoid valves to get them to open quicker where fluid injection into a model is desired.

Reply to
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)