ANSYS SOLUTION PROBLEM

HI my thesis is about to calculate the natural frequencies and modal shape of the HUMAN FEMUR using ANSYS 10 PROGRAM . I had completing geometry crating and meshing it , FREE MESH , AND THE volume of the femur after the meshing process become 205 MB , now in solution step and in any way ,BLOK LANZOS OR SUBSBACEOR REDUCED METHOD I AM FACED PROBLEM TELL ME THAT MY RAM IS not enough in spite of that my computer ram was 1024 MB and after that the programm is shutdown .

this is the error message appear in ansys after afew min from the solution starting THE MODAL REQUIRES MORE SCRATCH SPACE THAN AVAILABLE, CURRENTLY 19759461 WORDS 75MB , ANSYS WAS NIT ABLE TO ALLOCATE MORE MEMORY TO PROCCED , PLEASE SHUTDOWN THE APPLICATION ........PROBLEM TERMINATED.

PLEASE ANY ONE CAN HELP ME I WILL BE BEHOLDEN

Reply to
aden_hani

I'll try to help.

First, make sure you have sufficient Operating System swap space/ virtual memory. If you're in Windows, this is set in the Systems Properties Window, Advanced Tab, under Performance Settings > Advanced tab, Hit the Change Virtual Memory button. I usually set the Initial and Maximum size to the recommended size shown in the dialog box. I'd set it to at least 2 GB though.

Next, determine the largest workspace size you can allocate to ANSYS (See Section 3.3.4 of the ANSYS help for more details), and use this when launching ANSYS. Open the ANSYS Product Launcher, on the first tab set the working directory and database name. Go to the second tab "Customization/Preferences". In the "Memory" field, check the "Use custom memory settings". Set the total workspace size to 1200 MB, and the database size to 64 MB. If ANSYS successfully launches, increase the workspace size by 50 MB and try again. If ANSYS cannot allocate the 1200 MB reduce the number from 50 MB and try again. Once you've found the largest workspace memory you can allocate use this when launching ANSYS.

Solve the model in batch mode, with a workspace size equal to the maximum you found above and a small database size, ~64 MB. Running the solution as a batch job allows you to use more of your systems memory for solving the problem (versus opening the database and GUI). When you post-process the job, you'll need to set the database size to something closer to the size of the database+results file.

If you're still having problems you might be able to reduce the memory requirements by: reordering the element numbers, remeshing with a larger mesh size, requesting fewer modes to be solved, or choosing an different solver (sorry I can't be more specific but I'm not familiar with modal analyses).

See the ANSYS Help Manual, Sections 3.2, 3.3, and the BCSOPTION command for more details. I hope this helps.

Dave Parker

Reply to
dgp

Hello thank you MR. Dave Parker

i am estimated your helping. i am icreased the total workspace size to 1268 MB. and the database size to 64 MB but after afew mints ansys appear this mesage; Fatal-error insufficient memory erro during solution .please icrease your problem siaze or increase youSYSTEM SWAPPED SPACE how can i increase my system swapped space

and please, MR.Dave can you expalin explain what were you mean in(Solve the model in batch mode, with a workspace size equal to the maximum you found above and a small database size, ~64 MB. Running the solution as a batch job allows you to use more of your systems memory for solving the problem (versus opening the database and GUI). When you post-process the job, you'll need to set the database size to something closer to the size of the database+results file) ? my regardes

Reply to
hani_aden

If you're using Windows, you can increase your operating system swap space (Virtual Memory) by opening the Control Panel > System Properties, then following the instructions in the previous post to get to the Virtual Memory settings. Windows will show you a recommended size that varies depending on the amount of physical memory and disk drive space. Enter the recommended value in the Initial size and Maximum size fields. If you're using another operating system, post it to the newsgroup and maybe someone else can help.

Now if you still get an error message when starting ANSYS, go back to the ANSYS Launcher and reduce the workspace size by 50 MB. Repeat until ANSYS can launch.

ANSYS is typically run in GUI mode, but can be run in batch mode from a command ("DOS") window. Batch mode is typically used when solving large models to eliminate the memory overhead of launching the GUI, leaving more memory available to run the solution. Read Chapter 3.4 of the Help Manual for details on running in batch mode. You will need to create an input file that contains the ANSYS commands required to resume the database, solve the model and save the results. Before solving the model make sure the database is ready to solve, you've applied boundary conditions, material properties, and set all the solver settings. Now create a text file, with the following commands:

resume ALLSEL,ALL /SOL SOLVE finish /EXIT,NOSAVE

I think this is all you'll need but it's been a while since I've solved a model in batch mode. By exiting without saving the results will not be appended to the db file but they will be saved in the results file.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Dave Parker

Reply to
dgp