mechanical latch/flipflop

I'm trying to design a very simple mechanical switch that toggles it's state and latches.

While there is plenty of information on the net for electrical flip-flops and latches I can't find anything remotely related to mechanical ones. Am I using the wrong terms. While I could possibly tear a part a few switches and figure out what is going on I'd rather have a better formal understanding. Obviously designing a momentary switch i s quite easy but adding the latching mechanism is throwing me for a loop.

Anyone know where I can find more information about this subject?

Reply to
Stretto

Industry calls them "Push On/Push Off" switches. Available in lots of different configurations.

See if the terminology helps you with your search. Might look at expired patents too...

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

"Stretto" wrote in news:iqqc9h$bf0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The generally used language is not very specific. I would look at "toggle linkages" "overcenter toggles or linkages" or "snap action linkages"

A reference I have found useful over the years is _Mechanisms, Linkages, and Mechanical Controls_ by Nicolas P. Chironis. I see a number of good used copies on bookfinder.com for

Reply to
Charly Coughran