motor torque question

Hi,
Jr. year ME student at OSU here. I am involved in reverse-engineering a
Kenmore trash compactor, and there is one detail I am having trouble
finding. I have a motor that has a .5 diameter shaft, runs at regular
120V/60Hz, and creates 2200 lbs force at the "ram" (the thing that
squashes the trash). The specs I have on this thing do not give me data
for rpm's on the motor, and to do a failure analysis of the shaft I need
to develop an expression fo the torque on the shaft. Any ideas on how to
progress?
The motor drives a sprocket that drives a chain around two other
sprockets in an equilateral-triangle formation. There are two power
screws attached to the other two chain-driven sprockets- the 'ram' moves
down on the power screws.
Thanks for anything; I'm doing internet research as we speak on this to
try to find any info possible on rpm's and/or torque of this motor.
-k wallace
Reply to
k wallace
think I found answers. Found a spec re. 1/3 hp motor & 60 rpm, & was able to "back out" from that using some equivalence equations for round shafts & shear eqn's. So thanks anyway...and any advice welcome of course. -kw
Reply to
k wallace
Dear k wallace:
Power = force x velocity knowing the power (in watts, not horsepower), and knowing the maximum force, you can get to the maximum speed...
I haven't done much rotating equipment design, so don't know where to take you next.
David A. Smith
Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)