moving heat

I have a hard drive I want to keep cool and silent. It generates a max of 12 watts of heat, and must be kept below 50C. Say I attach a 3 inch copper cube to it (in a way that conducts heat well), surround everything but the copper piece with soundproofing material, and cool the other end of the copper cube. This will all be inside a standard drive enclosure, except that the cool end of the copper will stick out the top. What do I need to do to cool this end? Would a very large heat sink with a very slow fan work? Or would I need to cool it with a peltier to keep the drive at an acceptable temperature?

Reply to
Thomas Reat

Dear Thomas Reat:

Describe the environmental constraints, please. Is this in a PC? Is the air HEPA filtered, or "human occupied"? The heat will be mostly generated in the drive motor and support bearings. Some will be dissipated in the air surrounding the disk (inside the metal case).

I found a nice 5.25" drive bay cover that provides slots for cooling and two USB ports for the front. It also holds a 3.5" hard drive inside (at least until I remember what stress this puts on the hard drive case filter).

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Use large 12VDC Fan and drive it with 5 or 7 V (7V: 12-5), and it will be very silent. blowing to the bottom of the HD should keep it cool enough.

I made my HD much quieter by inserting rubber eyelets (for R/C servos)into the mounting holes, to isolate the vibrations from the case. If you use any rubber parts or other electrically insulating materials, ground the HD to the case with some wire to prevent any static charging.

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:WC%Jb.43637$gN.13007@fed1read05...

Reply to
Andreas Rutz