Oil Lacquer in Turbomachinery Bearings.

Hello all. I have been looking for information relating to the formation of the brown lacquer that is often seen on shaft journals and bearing parts in Turbo machines. I am presuming that this is an oxidation product? But I am looking for information relating to why it happens, why it happens more on one machine than another, and what steps can be taken to inhibit it (beyond keeping oil temperatures low?). I'm thinking about machines typically running 24/7 on a Mineral Turbine Oil. Any resources you can recommend please? Thanks.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve S

The only place I have seen it on marine turbines is where oil leaks onto hot casings. Are you having problems with it getting thick enough reduce clearances or to peel off and contaminate the oil?

It seems to be a product of high temperatures. Keep your oil temp. below

180 F and keep it dry.

As for a chemical description of the stuff try contacting your lube oil supplier.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Thanks Rick, no, I see it fairly often in Turbo machinery bearings. Shaft journals are yellow/brown (look like overheated but not in fact the case) ,the edges of bearing pads and inside surfaces of bearing carriers is coated to a greater or lesser extent. Apart from the discolouration it has never been a functional problem, but I might have come across a case where no other cause except for excessive laquer build up is causing high runing temp on a compressor bearing. So I'm looking for more background on the matter. Problem is, I don't seem to be having any luck searching for definitive answers. Thanks and regards.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve S

When deposited from fuel, that stuff is called 'varnish'.

This search was productive:

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Halloran

Thank you Mike, I shall review these documents.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve S