Shell Gasoline Ad

I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Well, you can read what Shell has to say about it at:

DT

Nitrogen is a inert diatomic gas at standard conditions, constituting

78% by volume of Earth's atmosphere. Is your eng> I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added > nitrogen.
Reply to
trueedge

Shell Launches New Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines

02/03/2009

Introducing a new molecule designed to seek and destroy engine gunk in both conventional and modern engines.

Houston ? Today at Shell stations across the U.S., consumers will fill-up with a new product at the pumps. Shell is introducing the all-new Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, containing a unique, patented cleaning system designed to seek and destroy engine ?gunk? (carbon deposits) in all three grades of gasoline. The new Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system protects and cleans up gunky build-up on intake valves and fuel injectors left by lower quality gasolines.

Nitrogen is a key element of the active cleaning molecule in the new fuel, making it significantly more stable at higher temperatures common in modern engines, such as direct fuel-injection gasoline engines. The increased stability ensures that the molecule can work under much tougher engine conditions by resisting thermal breakdown better than conventional cleaning additives.

?At Shell, our ?Passionate Experts? are dedicated to helping motorists get the most out of every drop of gasoline,? said Jens Mueller-Belau, Fuels Portfolio and Category Manager North America, Shell Retail.. ?With Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, our scientists have increased the effectiveness of our cleaning additive, offering consumers our most advanced technology ever.?

In addition to developing the new fuel with the consumer in mind, Shell worked very closely with automotive manufacturers to gain insight into current and future engine technologies. These insights along with fuels technology leadership and a strong research and development program help Shell continually improve its products.

Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines were tested in laboratories, independent testing facilities, and on the road, accumulating more than a half-million miles in various vehicles and engines?including conventional, turbo-charged, and direct fuel-injection gasoline engines, hybrids, newer vehicles with low mileage, and older vehicles with high mileage.

Shell scientists also used innovative testing technologies such as dual fuel engines to conduct head-to-head comparisons with other lower quality gasolines. In these tests, split engines simultaneously run on different types of gasoline in order to collect data under the exact same conditions. The results of these head-to-head comparisons proved that the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines are more effective than lower quality gasolines in protecting against the build-up of harmful engine gunk. ?In today?s tough economy, American drivers are concerned about protecting their vehicle since it?s one of their largest investments,? said Mueller-Belau. ?We want to help protect that investment. That?s why we want them to educate consumers that there is a difference in the gasoline they choose. Using lower quality gasolines can result in gunky build-up on critical engine parts, negatively impacting engine performance. Shell gasolines help drivers say ?No? to gunk.?

The Nitrogen Enriched formula is proven to prevent build-up of gunk more effectively than gasolines containing only the minimum amount of cleaning agents as required by the EPA.

The new cleaning system is certified to meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard ? voluntary standards designated by some of the world?s top automakers (Audi, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen) to try to raise the bar on fuel quality beyond minimum government criteria. Industry research has proven that a clean engine results in better fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and overall optimal vehicle performance.

In addition, Shell V-Power® premium gasoline provides maximum protection with the highest concentration of the Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system and more than five times the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by federal government standards. It seeks and destroys engine gunk even faster than regular Shell gasoline, providing maximum protection to help vehicles maintain peak performance.

Shell is supporting the launch of Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines with a national marketing campaign, including national TV, radio and online advertising, as well as point-of-purchase signage at Shell-branded stations nationwide. The new campaign builds-on the current ?Passionate Experts? platform, focusing on the company?s commitment to fuel quality and passion for developing innovative new products.

?At Shell, we believe it?s important to educate consumers that all gasolines are not the same?high quality gasoline can make a difference in a vehicle,? said Karen Wildman, Shell U.S. brand and communications manager. ?We?re dedicated to continuous product improvement and innovation, and to helping consumers get the most out of every drop.?

For additional information on Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, visit

Shell Oil Products US, a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company, is a leader in the refining, transportation and marketing of fuels, and has a network of more than 6,000 branded gasoline stations in the Western United States.

Shell Oil Company is a 50 percent owner of Motiva Enterprises LLC, along with Saudi Refining, Inc. Motiva Enterprises LLC refines and markets branded products through more than 8,200 branded stations in the Eastern and Southern United States. Shell Oil Company is an affiliate of the Shell Group [(NYSE:RDS.A) and (NYSE:RDS.B)]. For more information, please visit

Inquiries:

  • Shell Media Line +1 (713) 241-4544 Stefanie Gudis * Edelman +1 (323) 202-1067

Disclaimer Statement

This announcement contains forward-looking statements concerning the financial condition, results of operations and businesses of Royal Dutch Shell. All statements other than statements of historical fact are, or may be deemed to be, forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are statements of future expectations that are based on management?s current expectations and assumptions and involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance or events to differ materially from those expressed or implied in these statements.

Forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements concerning the potential exposure of Royal Dutch Shell to market risks and statements expressing management?s expectations, beliefs, estimates, forecasts, projections and assumptions. These forward-looking statements are identified by their use of terms and phrases such as ??anticipate??, ??believe??, ??could??, ??estimate??, ??expect??, ??intend??, ??may??, ??plan??, ??objectives??, ??outlook??, ??probably??, ??project??, ??will??, ??seek??, ??target??, ??risks??, ??goals??, ??should?? and similar terms and phrases.

There are a number of factors that could affect the future operations of Royal Dutch Shell and could cause those results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements included in this Report, including (without limitation): (a) price fluctuations in crude oil and natural gas; (b) changes in demand for the Group?s products; (c) currency fluctuations; (d) drilling and production results; (e) reserve estimates; (f) loss of market and industry competition; (g) environmental and physical risks;

(h) risks associated with the identification of suitable potential acquisition properties and targets, and successful negotiation and completion of such transactions; (i) the risk of doing business in developing countries and countries subject to international sanctions; (j) legislative, fiscal and regulatory developments including potential litigation and regulatory effects arising from recategorisation of reserves; (k) economic and financial market conditions in various countries and regions; (l) political risks, project delay or advancement, approvals and cost estimates; and (m) changes in trading conditions.

All forward-looking statements contained in this presentation are expressly qualified in their entirety by the cautionary statements contained or referred to in this section. Readers should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. Each forward-looking statement speaks only as of the date of this presentation, May 4,

2006.

Neither Royal Dutch Shell nor any of its subsidiaries undertake any obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement as a result of new information, future events or other information. In light of these risks, results could differ materially from those stated, implied or inferred from the forward-looking statements contained in this document.

The United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) permits oil and gas companies, in their filings with the SEC, to disclose only proved reserves that a company has demonstrated by actual production or conclusive formation tests to be economically and legally producible under existing economic and operating conditions.

We use certain terms in this presentation, such as ?oil in place" that the SEC's guidelines strictly prohibit us from including in filings with the SEC. U.S. Investors are urged to consider closely the disclosure in our Form 20-F, File No 1-32575 and disclosure in our Forms 6-K file No, 1-32575, available on the SEC website

You can also obtain these forms from the SEC by calling

1-800-SEC-0330. at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Hopefully their chemists are better than their web site designers.

Why is it that so many "blue chip" companies are taken in by designers pushing all these ridiculous features. They should take lessons from Amazon, EBay, etc.

Oh, and to answer the other question, yes the additive will displace some BTU, but it is probably only there at tens, perhaps hundreds of parts per million. Combustion chemistry is pretty complicated and traces of compounds can shift the efficiency up or down.

Reply to
newshound

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:27:21 -0600, the infamous Andy Asberry scrawled the following:

And people wonder why I don't miss TV at all after shutting off my feed a year and a half ago...

I wonder if this is the marketing plan which will make us forget that we'll never get hydrogen-powered vehicles [since they were "making" hydrogen by reforming fossil fuel (oil & natural gas.)]

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How many people have had to bring in their car for degunking?

Reply to
gary0232

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:58:56 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Sounds like Yet Another Additive. New and Improved!

Selah.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Let Esso put a tiger in your tank" - " Texaco takes the hair out of your gas" - "Chevron Supreme fits square gas tanks as well as round" I think I remembered those correctly. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

From the Golden Age of Advertising. I was just born too late. AMC's "Mad Men" looks to me like a documentary of the business I aspired to be in.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Don't forget "Lead-Free Amoco" (~1950s-60s) and "Shell with Platformate."

Reply to
John Husvar

At least "Platformate" had some basis in reality. Platinum was used as a catalyst in the cracking towers to bust the big molecules left from the simple distillation columns into higher octane stuff. Of course, just about every other refiner was doing the same at the time.

Don't remember Lead-Free Amoco from that period.

Wonder what the nitrogen compound is? Hydrazine? Nitroglycerine? Nitromethane?

Stan

Reply to
stans4

You'd be surprised how many would benefit from it - particularly those that are never really "driven". I've seen intakes so choked up you'd never get half throttle out of them. ANd exhausts almost as bad. Combuston chambers so bad that hightest pings under a light load.

Reply to
clare

I couldn't find chemical details easily, but it sounds like a detergent. They were able to patent it.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How about the "Atlas 'No-Squeal' Buytron tires" with a logo of a pig with a gag in place. ? :-) This was back when I was paying $0.25 per gallon for gas.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Fits square gas tanks as well as round... Ohhhh, I'll Betcha that one was Stan Freberg, got his fingerprints all over it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

In the 1960s Shell had an add showing cars with Platformate driving through paper barriers.

The guy that came up with that add said that he had his greatest ideas while drunk or astool.

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

My favorite, still, is a line from one of Y&R's older copywriters: "Preferred by those who like it best."

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

From Watertown NY TV station late '50s - " With Chevron Supreme Gasoline, your car will go backward as well as forward" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Maybe during the 60s and possibly into the 70s, one brand (can't remember it) claimed as a major selling point every winter that maybe just their supreme grade, had gas line antifreeze in it.

Don't get stranded by fuel line freezup. Protection against fuel line freezing. With (name) Supreme, you go, or we pay for the tow.

Over the decades, just this small city in western PA has had probably more than 30 different regional and national gasoline/oil company names in it, from back in the Cities Service and Esso days. Now there are maybe 4 different brands (including Sheetz), and almost all of 'em are mini-marts.. and maybe only one (non mini-mart) with lifts, a real air compressor and maybe a tire changer. I can think of possibly two that still have attendants that pump gas for the customers who don't want to pump the gas themselves.

Reply to
Wild_Bill