Plastic Enclosure Design

Hi, I have a requirement to design a plastic enclosure for an application that should pass an immersion test (IPX8) of 2 meters for 4 hours. The plastic enclosure is made of cycoloy and I am presently using far field Ultrasonic welding. I would like to know alternative techniques to design the enclosure...Is there something better than Ultrasonic welding? How good are fasteners with gaskets?...I would appreciate your inputs on the same.... BR Avinash Mech Design Er

Reply to
saravanan.pal

What are you using the ultrasonic welding for? Attaching side panels to the enclosure? Are you not injection molding? That would be the way I'd go. Injection molded with a seperate cover. Ultrasonic insertion of inserts into top surface. Top surface of enclosure should have an O-ring groove all the way around, and the groove should be inboard of the inserts. Cover should have a lip near the fasteners holes that doubles as a stiffener flange to keep the section of the cover that abuts the O-ring as stiff as possible.

Cycoloy is a polycarbonate/ABS blend and should perform fine if the immersion test is in water.

Reply to
Harry Andreas

Why not polycarbonate or ABS, solvent bonded? 2 meters is not severe, if the case is not too big.

Reply to
insideman

Spherical is a great shape for negative pressure, cylinders are good, boxes not so good. Fluting the walls of otherwise flat surfaces is helpful. Pressurizing the interior to some fraction of the 3 psi excess pressure might be worth considering.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Hi, Thanks a lot for all your inputs. I greatly appreciate your help on this. The cycoloy material is chosen by the customer, but I feel its great from a shock, and molding thin wall complex geometries perspective (anyways it is a mix of PC and ABS),.. ......and presurising internally .or fluting is a good thought.... yep...sonic insertion is what we r trying currently....but I am looking for some sort of 2 nd shot molding to close the cover on to the case ...which would be ideal...have anyone seen a similar design anywhere....?

BR Av> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
saravanan.pal