Small machining

We are milling small grooves in stainless steel with an endmill. (let's say 0.040 wide x 0.014 deep)

Then we mill chamfer to break the sharp edge.

We want to remove 0.003 @ 45 degree.

The problem is that it`s very difficult to measure and check the work, to see if we have to make the chamfer a bit more deep or not.

Is there some tools someone can suggest? (considering we inspect the groove while it is still on the milling machine?)

Reply to
Y. Gauthier

What's the purpose of the chamfer? It would seem that the dimensions are very unimportant and anything from .002 to .006 would be just as good, and any angle from 35 to 55 degrees.

Mitchell Timin (former M.E. & designer)

Reply to
SeeBelow

The grooves are to make creases on cardboard. If the edge is sharp, the cardboard get stuck at high forming speed.

Yes, you are right, the dimensions and angle can vary, but I still have to measure them with more precision then now. Customers have somes preferences (and there always right ;-)

Reply to
Y. Gauthier

Dear Y. Gauthier:

Form a wire with the left and right edges of the slot, as the right and left edges of the wire respectively. Inspect the wire, which is now easy. Place the wires with the correct spacing on a compatible metal base. Sinter in place. Viola!

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

You could get a special cutter ground by a toolmaker to make the grove and chamfer in a single pass, this would save on machining time and inspection.

For work in stainless you will probably need to have the cutter made in tungsten, but if you only have a limited number of " standard " groves to make it should pay for itself.

Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Cast some Cerrobend alloy onto the workpiece. Remove and slice at varous locations. Use an optical comparator to measure the grooves and angles.

Reply to
Dan Bollinger