Tube bending tips required

Still trying to chase the perfect bend in high tensile, thin wall aluminium tube (6061 T6). Using an 8" fixed former and a section bar pressed by a lever and bearings I can get OK bends. I see bends done with no rippling on the inside and wonder how?. Any bending gurus out there. The bends are for an ultralight tailplane (No the Ultralight boys don't know squat) and the bends are acceptable as is I would love to get them perfect or close.

DIY

Reply to
I Can Computer Services

Normally you would not try to cold work a heat treatable Al alloy in the T6 condition. At that strength level buckling defects (ripples) will be very hard to avoid. 6061 is usually worked in a softer condition and heat treated last.

Dave Korzekwa

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Carrier

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:43:14 -0400, Carrier posted:

Well yes, I've heard of it and even tried it with little success. I think it depends on the ductility of the material being bent.

Reply to
Moosh:]