hydrostatic bearings questions

By that I mean bearings similar to those found on an engine's crankshaft. I'm looking for ways to determine how much oil (gpm) will be needed, viscosity, clearance, and how large the bearing surface muct be for a given oil pressure & load. How much drag, how much heat, bla bla bla. Pretty much any and all details related to the bearings. This is strictly out of curiosity; I'm not building anything with it.

Reply to
B.B.

Perhaps you could straighten out something for me then. I was under the impression that hydrostatic bearings had an associated pump, while hydrodynamic bearings do not. Since that apparently is not the case, could you tell be what the terms "hydrodynamic bearinsg" and "hydrodynamic bearinsg" mean, respectively?

Thanks--I'll go dig it up at the library tomorrow.

Reply to
B.B.

Dear B.B.:

Hydrodynamic bearings do not necessarily require a pump to deliver lubrication, since such could ideally be constructed without need for a pump. Hydrostatic bearings, which operate at such low speeds that "hydroplaning" does not occur, and other such real world bearings do require pumped lubrication. In a car engine, the bearings start up without pumped lubrication, since the oil pump is running very slowly during cranking.

I used AltaVista Advanced search with the following terms: bearing and pump and lubrication and pressure and flow and crankshaft and design and got 1986 hits. I bet you could find some good ones that would help you.

The book he mentioned would be a good one for you to obtain for your own personal library, if you like machines.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc1.cox