Surface grinder bearing questions

Hi,

I just bought a Delta Toolmaker surface grinder that I'm refurbishing for occasional hobby use. This is the older model with cast-iron legs.

I have a coupe of questions regarding the spindle bearings on this grinder.

The spindle is quite long and has a plain (i.e., no balls or rollers) tapered bearing on the wheel end and a 'regular' ball bearing on the pulley end. The ball bearing is sealed 'for life' while the plain bearing is lubricated by a slinger that dips down into a reservoir of oil.

I downloaded an owner's manual, and it calls for "High Grade Spindle Oil of Viscosity 58 to 60 Saybolt at 100 degrees F." Am I correct in translating this to "Mobil Velocite No. 6"? If so, that seems like an awfully thin oil. I'm currently using Velocite No. 10 in my old plain-bearing lathe, and that's a pretty light oil. No 6 is a couple of steps thinner.

Second question: I'm wondering how much end play the spindle should have. The manual doesn't say (but does describe how to make the adjustment). Remember that end play also affects bearing clearance, since the bearing is tapered. The taper is fairly shallow (a quick measurement of the drawing in the manual shows about 8 degrees per side), so the amount of bearing clarence will be much less than the end play.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Dave

robinda *at* quincy.edu

Reply to
Dave