Chemical composition of steel alloys.

Hi there,
I'm interested in the make-up of steel alloys, but find the representations of different grades of steel confusing.
I want to know as it's just bugging me, and I want to get it out of my system.
Could somebody please tell me what the following means, as I can't find seem to find an explanation (must be typing in the question incorrectly).
I'm interested in the numbers at the beginning and end of the following compsitions:
23MnNiCrMo5-2 (chemical formula for chain steel, obtained from Saarstahl website)
36MnVS4 (material used in the manufacture of crankshafts?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
C Mach.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Aren't there any metallurgy textbooks available, where steel designations according to EN 10027 are explained? It's basically a 16-year-old standard.
You might look for "Stahlschlssel" or "Key-to-Steels" in a technical library.
In detail:
23 => 0.23% C (nominally) 5 => 1.25% Ni 2 => 0.5% Cr 36 => 0.36% C 4 = 1% Mn
HTH
Michael Dahms

Hi Michael,
Greetings from England, and thank-you for your response.
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but for the explanation of 36MnVS4, it's >0.36% carbon and 1% manganese; would the 4 (1%) also apply to the vanadium and sulphur (VS) content as well?
Regards,
C Mach
interested in all things mechanical wrote:

^wrong, it's approximaltely 0.36%

From the designation, we just know that there is less V than Mn and less S than V.
Michael Dahms

Hi Michael,
Thanks for clearing that up. I've also found the publication you were referring to.
Your help was much appreciated.
Regards,
C Mach.