Chemical composition of steel alloys.

Hi there,

I'm interested in the make-up of steel alloys, but find the representations of different grades of steel confusing.

I want to know as it's just bugging me, and I want to get it out of my system.

Could somebody please tell me what the following means, as I can't find seem to find an explanation (must be typing in the question incorrectly).

I'm interested in the numbers at the beginning and end of the following compsitions:

23MnNiCrMo5-2 (chemical formula for chain steel, obtained from Saarstahl website)

36MnVS4 (material used in the manufacture of crankshafts?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

C Mach.

Reply to
chiphu.mach

Aren't there any metallurgy textbooks available, where steel designations according to EN 10027 are explained? It's basically a

16-year-old standard.

You might look for "Stahlschlüssel" or "Key-to-Steels" in a technical library.

In detail:

23 => 0.23% C (nominally) 5 => 1.25% Ni 2 => 0.5% Cr 36 => 0.36% C 4 = 1% Mn

HTH

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

Hi Michael,

Greetings from England, and thank-you for your response.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but for the explanation of

36MnVS4, it's >0.36% carbon and 1% manganese; would the 4 (1%) also apply to the vanadium and sulphur (VS) content as well?

Regards,

C Mach

Reply to
interested in all things mechanical

^wrong, it's approximaltely 0.36%

From the designation, we just know that there is less V than Mn and less S than V.

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

Hi Michael,

Thanks for clearing that up. I've also found the publication you were referring to.

Your help was much appreciated.

Regards,

C Mach.

Reply to