copper continuous casting - problem

Please help me to solve the following problem. We produce copper rods by horisontal continuous casting. Diameter of rod - 18 mm. Average
oxigen content is about 5 ppm. We often have poor quality due to the cracks on the rod surface. 1. What the optimal linear speed of the rod must be(when cast occurring). 2. We use dispersed graphite as the copper melt cover. Is there necessary to use protective atmosphere too? 3. How to reduce hydrogen influence? Is it the cause of bad quality?
Excuse me for long post. Thank You in advance.
Is there discoloration on the surface? that would indicate oxidation, which can cause cracking. a gas blanket can solve that problem. Depending on the temperature of the copper as it exits the process you can use argon, helium, or CO2 ( in descending cost) if you really wanted to go cheap steam or a hot water bath also works, or at least it works for copper wire. The thing to consider with the hot water bath though is that it may effect the hardness of the rod. Helium and argon are the best bets if you cannot deal with the change in hardness. More details on your process would be helpful.
--
"Yea, all israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they
might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the