CTE for titanium

Does anybody know where I can find the coefficient of Thermal expansion for Ti? I would like to have it for the temperature range from room temperature to about 1400C. I realize this includes the phase change at ~882C. All I can find in a one number fit all.

Thanks Steve Gerdemann

Reply to
SJgerdemann

'the coefficient of Thermal expansion for Ti' does not exist. It is a temperature-depend 2nd-order tensor. Hexagonal Ti is thermally anisotropic.

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

Head for a good library.

CINDAS at Purdue University authors/publishers

#

Thermophysical Properties of Matter - The TPRC Data Series, IFI/Plenum Data Co., 14 volumes (out of print) #

Thermophysical Properties of Selected Aerospace Materials, Purdue University, 2 volumes (out of print) #

CINDAS Data Series on Material Properties, McGraw-Hill Book Co., 4 volumes, Hemisphere Publishing Corp., 3 volumes (out of print) #

Aerospace Structural Metal Handbook (ASMH), Purdue University, in both print and CD-ROM versions (available from Self-Directed Learning Programs, Center for Lifelong Learning, Purdue University) #

Structural Alloys Handbook, Purdue University, 3 volumes, CD-PDF version only (available from Self-Directed Learning Programs, Center for Lifelong Learning, Purdue University)

Reply to
jbuch

How good a number to you need? What is the intended use of the value?

MIL-HDBK-5 gives values from ~5 to 6 * 10^-6 in/in/F from room temp to 1600F.

The value is dependent on alloy; Alpha increases with temp. cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I suppose I should have framed the question a little better. I would like to be able to estimate the change in height of a small Ti button with temperature. This button is NOT single crystal Ti rather it is made from powder. I am aware that the CTE constant (8.46 X 10-6 /C) I found in Donachie's book is not constant/correct. We have several good and expensive reference books about Ti but none list anything better. Unfortunately the local university doesn't have any of the books in the above post. Unless I can find a reasonable number I will try to run a few dilatometry experiments.

Thanks Steve Gerdemann

Reply to
SJgerdemann

Steve-

You can search for & download a copy of MIL-HDBK-5

It has has graphs of Alpha as a function of temp from RT to 1600F for various alloys

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Best way anyway.