Stainless expansion rates

Which stainless steel alloy has the lowest expansion rate? I know
304L is on the low end, but are any lower? Is there a web site with
tables?
Many thanks, all.
Theo
Reply to
Eel Loin
tomcas
I was surprised to see what a wide range of thermal expansion coefficients there were in the various stainless steel alloys.
304 has the highest thermal expansion coefficient, 9.6.
The 400 series of stainless steels have much lower coefficients, all around 5.8, with 403 the lowest at 5.5. So the 400 series is much more stable dimensionally with change in temperature.
I assume that you are interested in the thermal expansion coefficient.
All this came from Machinery Handbook.
If you are talking about strain vs. stress, that is Young's modulus, and it does not vary much with different steels.
Richard
Eel Lo> Which stainless steel alloy has the lowest expansion rate? I know
Reply to
Richard Ferguson
See Invar - a Ni-Fe Alloy
Reply to