feet per spool

Hello, I would like to know, if at all possible, how many feet of welding
you would get out of a 33 pound spool of .035 316 stainless steel welding
wire. I will be welding on 3/16" stainless steel, or would any one know of a
web site where I would get this information. Thank you very much........Ed
Reply to
Ed Atyeo
"Ed Atyeo" wrote: (clip) how many feet of welding you would get out of a 33 pound spool of .035 316 stainless steel welding wire. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is how I would do it: Estimate the cross sectional area of the weld bead. Then calculate the volume of a foot of weld. Multiply by the density of stainless, and you will have the weight of a foot of weld. Divide this into 33 lb, and you will get the length in feet of the weld bead.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
weldreality.com
Reply to
ATP*
Just for fun I did the calculation outlined in my earlier post, and got about 500 feet. Actually a little less, but the accuracy of the calculation is a little loose, because there is a range in the density of stainless, and because my assumptions about the shape/cross sectional area of the bead may not apply exactly to your weld.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Thanks for the reply, but it is a little confusing for me . Thank you anyway...........Ed
Reply to
Ed Atyeo
I would think that each welding situation would have variables such as gap, individual's size of weld both in width and depth.
Would it be better to cut off 1/2 # of wire and weld the actual situation with the actual welder and multiply by 66? A 1/2 #of wire may be quite a bit depending on circumstances, perhaps the test could be made with less. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net
Reply to
DanG
This is a pretty good site. thanks for the link.........Ed
much........Ed
Reply to
Ed Atyeo
"Ed Atyeo" wrote: This is a pretty good site. thanks for the link.........Ed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ed, if you get an answer from that, I'd be interested to know how close I came with my calculated guestimate of "about 500 feet."
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
.250"x.250"x .375" flat faced fillet weld runs a bit over .1 pound of wire per foot or about 325 feet. Calculated value is .106 pounds per foot, you get some minor losses from that.
Leo Lichtman wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ