galvanising query

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me or know where i can find out how galvanising affects steel with respect to sheet thickness, or how sheet, angle and box section welded together are affected,

I am having big problems with distortion.

is there general rules that dictate what will or won't cause problems.

thanks

glenn

Maybe you should look at using Galvanised sheet, rather than self colour sheet metal and galvanising it after fabrication.

If it is galvanised for weather proofing then look at powder coating instead.

In message , G writes

Reply to
John Gregory

Glenn:

Yes there are rules. The U.S. version is ASTM Standard A384, written in American rather than British English. Look up the Galvanizers Association website at

and click on "Designing Articles for Galvanizing". Read it all, particularly "distortion" and "points to consider when designing..."

For lots more links, you can go to

and look at the links on galvanizing. Be forewarned that this site has lots of pop-up ads though. It used to be nicer when the regional library kindly hosted it.

Pittsburgh Pete

Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete

Please also refer to the American Galvanizers Association web site:

to their on-line publications, including design and painting guides:
Ed, Hot-dipping in Pittsburgh

Reply to
eSilva