Heat Treat Solutions

I am interested in heat treat some 6061 Aluminum parts. I was planning on using Poly Alkylene Glycol (PAG) to quench them. Does anyone have any experience using it? How do I dispose of it when I am finished? Can it go down the drain? Also, after quenching how do I clean the PAG off the parts? They have internal passages that I need to flush. How do I know if all of the PAG has been removed from the inside of the parts?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Craig

Glycol is basically aintifreeze/coolant like in your car radiator. So disposal is the same problem. Don't put it down a drain. It is water soluble.

It is primarily used is aluminum heat treat to control distortion at concentrations of less than 20%. More than that tends to reduce properties of the finished material.

Reply to
bainite