Odd question about corrosion and waxing

My car has a few rusted areas; I'm wondering, if a standard car wax was applied over the rusted areas, would it slow down the rusting process?
I suspect that as long as the wax didn't chemically react with the car's sheet metal, it would act as a slight barrier between the air and the exposed metal.
But I hope someone with more expertise than me will speak up on this. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Thanks
Yes

Some of the stories of iron structures in India lasting thousands of years outside are believed to be due to their being coated in butter or oil regularly.

If you don't want to repaint it yet, then yes the wax would would fine. I'd suggest removing the rust first, though. TM
-- Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality. Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."
Remove "3+4" from addy before replying