Polishing problem

Hello all-
I've been preparing 50um thick ribbon for some low angle diffraction testing, and came across a few problems. I was hoping someone here
might have some suggestions. Electro-polishing does a good job (if done very carefully) however the area which gets polished tends to be quite small. So, I ended up using a mechanical method, to reduce the surface roughness, by applying the ribbon to a small metal TEM preparation plate using resin. The only problem is that the samples, at this point, are being annealed at relatively low temperatures ie: 130 C and we had some inconsistencies with the polished samples that seem to be due to the time they are touching the still hot resin. Does anyone have any better suggestions for either the polishing method or the "gluing" of the ribbon?
Thanks Seth

Glueing the samples to a holder seems quite a good method. Do you need to remove it again from the holder after polishing or is it possible to use it with a holder for the diffraction experiment?
You may just use a cold curing resin like epoxy to mount the sample. You could also make a polishing holder that allows you to use wafer mount tape to mount the sample temporarily for polishing.
This tape is a special plastic foil that adheres to smooth surfaces without leaving contamination. We use it to mount semiconductor wafers to a holder for sawing them into pieces.
If you don't have any, ask some semiconductor guys near you, they will have some for sure.
it looks like that: http://www.epakelectronics.com/wafermounttape.htm
Good luck! Andreas Rutz
Andreas Rutz wrote:

Those suggestions sound great. I like the look of that tape. Thanks for the help.
Seth