Reduction of Chromium and nickel form the oxides

A friend was telling me about a system that burns old tires to generate electricity. The steel belts (stainless steel) which are a problem for
people trying to recycle the rubber into new tires, burn up too.
Since tires are a rather dirty fuel, scrubbers are used so I would suppose that the fly ash includes oxides of chromium an nickel in addition to iron and sulfur compounds. Iron is pretty cheap but I was wondering if it might not be worthwhile to try recovering the chromium and nickel.
How would one reduce the metal from the oxides economically?
Would an electrowhateveritscalled process such as that used to produce aluminum from bauxite be feasible?
Oh, does anybody here know what alloy is used for the steel belts?
I would guess something like 302 or 304, or other inexpensive 18/8.
--

FF

http://www.bekaert.com/steelcord/Products/Cords/Tire%20Cord/General%20Characteristics.htm
Carbon 0.725% Manganese 0.525% Silicon 0.230% Sulphur 0.010% Phosphorus 0.010% Traces of copper, chromium and nickel.

Neither of us know, but this is all so easy to recover some materials. Done by fracting towers like at the refinery - as the stuff is heated in the base it flows up to a height where it precipitates out. This is how the various oils and gases are generated - the gas is naturally diluted and fortified with more junk.
The other and likely better way is to take the ash resultant and put it through a like process for raw material extraction.
Not much of a trick really. Just takes engineers and scientists skilled in ME and EE and Chemistry to say the least.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
David Deuchar wrote:

http://www.bekaert.com/steelcord/Products/Cords/Tire%20Cord/General%20Characteristics.htm
-

Yeehaw! :)
I guess that right... well sorta... I figured 1060 and 1070 as opposed to 1070 and 1080 tho.
Stailess steel inside a tire? :/ Why for? ;) ...so it could be -weaker- than 1060? ;)
TOW missle wire is 1020 that's been hard drawn from hell.
Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Evidently I was misinformed.

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Sorry about that. :/ My irritaion toward stainless steel knife blades boiled over into your thread. ;)
Stainless steel can beat all other steels at two things and only two things... 1) knife sales 2) corrosion resistance
You guys got anything to add to that list?
As far as heat resistance a 3/32" austenitic steel rod can be used to reheat treat pocket knife blades where a coat hanger would droop to the bottom of the furnace. But that doesn't beat "all other steels" just "coat hanger steel". ;)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/warped-blade.htm
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/furnace.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/burner.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/jack.htm (shows the 2nd try ;)